1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microstates and oscillators help

1. Feb 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The number of microstates of a system of N oscillators containing Q quanta of energy hw is given by

W(N,Q) = (N+Q-1)!/[(N-1)!Q!]

Show that when one further quantum is added to the system the number of microstates increases by a factor of approximately (1+N/Q), provided that N,Q>>1.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So W(N,Q+1) = (N+Q)!/[(N-1)!(Q+1)!]

My problem class leader showed us how to do the question but im unsure of how he did it, so this is what he did:

W(N,Q+1)/W(N,Q)= [(N+Q)!(N-1)!Q!]/[(N-1)!(Q+1)!(N+Q-1)!]

= [(N+Q)!Q!]/[(Q+1)!(N+Q-1)!] by cancelling

= N+Q/Q+1 = 1+N/Q

I think he got to the last step by approxiamtion since N,Q>>1 but i don't see how that works. Also i don't know why there aren't factorial signs there, whether he or i forgot to write them in or whether they disappear for some reason.

Any explanations would be so helpful, thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2

kdv

First, notice that (Q+1)!/Q! = Q+1 Do you see why?

In general, if you have (X+1)!/ X! , this is equal to X+1 (where X can be anything)

Now, note that [tex] \frac{N+Q}{Q+1} = \frac{1 + N/Q}{1+1/Q} \approx 1+N/Q - 1/Q - N/Q^2 \ldots[/tex] where I have used the binomial expansion and have neglected the corrections of order [itex]1/Q^2, N/Q^2 [/itex] and higher .

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  4. Feb 25, 2008 #3
    Yes i see it now, thankyou so much.

5. Feb 25, 2008 #4

kdv

I made a few typos in my post (now corrected)

I meant to say (Q+1)!/Q! = Q+1

and (X+1)!/X! = X+1

Sorry for the typos.

And you are welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?