Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microwave Steam Engine, Would this work?

1. Feb 6, 2007 #1

Gold Member

I found this the other day and was wondering if it could work.

If nothing else it is an interesting concept.

Microwave Steam Engine
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Sure - the heat for a steam engine's boiler can come from anywhere. I don't know why anyone would want to do it, though.

edit: Oops, sorry, I missed the fact that they are claiming they can use the power generated by the motor to heat the water. C'mon, that's a classic perpetual motion machine of the first type. A microwave generator is about 65% efficient, a thermodynamic engine 35% and an electric generator 90%. So this device would require five times as much energy input as it outputs (.65*.35*.9=.2). I particularly liked this:
    No. A magnetron is 65% efficient (google for microwave efficiency), a good gas furnace is 95% efficient, and electric resistance heat is 100% efficient. Of course, if you put the waste heat from the magnetron back into the water, you'd just end up with an electric resistance heater.

C'mon, now, apply a little critical thinking. There is no free lunch! Discussions of this type are banned here because they are sooo basic that there really isn't anything to discuss - the only thing that happens is crackpots come out of the woodwork.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?