Min/max of functions restricted to subsets of their domains

In summary, if the critical points of a function lie in a subset A of R^2, then the global min/max of f in A correspond to the global min/max of f. If the global min/max of f lie outside of A, then they are either in the borders of A or are local min/max of f in A. If the global min/max of f in A lie in the borders of A, then they correspond to those points in the borders if A is closed, or the global max would be the limit of f as (x,y) approaches (a,b) if A is open. It is important to note that if the function has a global max/min, it must occur where the derivative is 0 or
V0ODO0CH1LD
If the critical points corresponding to the global min/max of a function ##f:\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow\mathbb{R}## lie in a subset ##A## of ##\mathbb{R}^2##, then the global min/max of ##f## in ##A## correspond to the global min/max of ##f##.

If the global min/max of ##f## lie outside of ##A##, then either the global min/max of ##f## in ##A## are in the boarders of ##A## or are the local min/max of ##f## that lie in ##A##. (There is no way that the global min/max of ##f## in ##A## is not a critical point of ##f## or in the boarders of ##A##, right?)

And finally if the global min/max of ##f## in ##A## lie in the boarders of ##A##, then either the subset ##A## is closed in which case the global min/max corresponds to those points in the boarders, or the subset ##A## is open in which case (say that the point in the boarder corresponding to the max is the point ##(a,b)##) the global max would then be:
[tex] \lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow{}(a,b)}f(x,y). [/tex]
Is that right? Did I miss something? Are there cases I left out?

By the way, I think that what I mean when I say the global min max of ##f:\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow\mathbb{R}## in ##A## is the global min/max of the restricted function ##f:A\rightarrow\mathbb{R}## although I am not entirely sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
If has a global max or min then it must occur where the derivative is 0 or does not exist. So if you are requiring that all "critical points" occur in A, then, yes, any global max or min must be in A. Of course, the function may not have a global max, f(x) steadily increasing as x increases, for example.

1. What is the purpose of finding the min/max of functions restricted to subsets of their domains?

The purpose of finding the min/max of functions restricted to subsets of their domains is to identify the minimum and maximum values of a function within a specific range or subset. This can be useful in various applications, such as optimization problems or determining the range of a function.

2. How is the min/max of a function restricted to a subset of its domain different from the overall min/max of the function?

The min/max of a function restricted to a subset of its domain refers to the minimum and maximum values of the function within a specific range, while the overall min/max of the function refers to the minimum and maximum values of the function across its entire domain. The restricted min/max is a subset of the overall min/max.

3. What are some common techniques for finding the min/max of functions restricted to subsets of their domains?

Some common techniques for finding the min/max of functions restricted to subsets of their domains include using the first or second derivative test, setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for critical points, and graphing the function to visually identify the min/max values within the subset.

4. Can the min/max of a function restricted to a subset of its domain be the same as the overall min/max?

Yes, it is possible for the min/max of a function restricted to a subset of its domain to be the same as the overall min/max. This can occur if the subset is the entire domain of the function.

5. How does the choice of subset affect the min/max of a function restricted to that subset?

The choice of subset can greatly affect the min/max of a function restricted to that subset. Different subsets may have different min/max values, and the location and number of critical points can also vary depending on the subset. It is important to carefully consider the subset when finding the min/max of a function restricted to it.