Minimal Programming Mathematics Software

In summary: Its interface is quite nice and the documentation is good.In summary, there are many programs that allow users to customize their work environment and focus less on the programming. However, some programs are more powerful and require more time to learn.
Alexrey
After using Matlab here and there whilst I was at university, I thought that although it was very powerful, its use was extremely cumbersome and slowed down what should be fairly simple processes like making 3D plots and solving ODEs, PDEs etc. That got me wondering if there were any programs out there that take out as much of the programming as possible and let you focus more on the mathematics. So if I decided to, say, solve the 2D wave equation and create a time varying 3D plot of the result, it wouldn't take me more than 5 minutes.

Are there any programs out there that allow someone to do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
IMHO, if you take the learning curve out of the software then you need to pre-program much more of the features. This makes it less useful, less adaptable, and it will produce more glitter than useful numbers/graphs. In order for it to be useful, people need to be able to customize the functions to their particular problem. In order to customize, they will have to spend a little time learning the software.

That said, once you spend more time with MATLAB you can easily "solve the 2D wave equation and create a time varying 3D plot of the result" and it won't take more than 5 minutes.

i.e. http://youtu.be/ySa6p5KGTXc

Mathcad is probably what you are looking for. That said I personally don't like it.

It is difficult to find one single piece of software that does everything easily. Also, typically, the more power you want the more you need to learn...unless you find a specific piece of software that specializes in one thing, it may make THAT easy.

Having said that...I don't particularly use mathcad either...it is nice, easy, and close to what it is literate programming where you can keep explanations and calculations side-by-side.

Presently, I have been doing my stuff with python and the various modules like numpy, scipy, matplotlib.

I like browsing the net for open source initiatives...it is amazing what you can find out there.

Over the past weekend, I found xmds which apparently makes it easy to do one of the things you mentioned (ODE, PDE).

There are several programs available that specialize in minimal programming mathematics, such as Mathematica, Maple, and Wolfram Alpha. These programs have user-friendly interfaces and built-in tools that allow for quick and efficient solving of mathematical problems, including 3D plots and differential equations. Additionally, there are online resources and tutorials available to help users navigate and utilize these programs effectively. It is important to explore and compare different options to find the best fit for your specific needs and preferences.

What is "Minimal Programming Mathematics Software"?

"Minimal Programming Mathematics Software" refers to a type of computer program that is designed to perform mathematical computations and solve problems with minimal coding and programming required. It is often used by scientists, engineers, and mathematicians to perform complex calculations and simulations.

What are the benefits of using "Minimal Programming Mathematics Software"?

One of the main benefits of using "Minimal Programming Mathematics Software" is its ease of use. Since it requires minimal coding, it can be used by individuals without a strong programming background. It also allows for faster and more efficient calculations, making it a valuable tool for research and data analysis.

What types of mathematical problems can be solved using "Minimal Programming Mathematics Software"?

"Minimal Programming Mathematics Software" can solve a wide range of mathematical problems, including algebraic equations, calculus problems, statistical analyses, and complex simulations. It can also handle large datasets and perform advanced mathematical operations, such as matrix manipulations and differential equations.

What sets "Minimal Programming Mathematics Software" apart from other mathematical software?

The main difference between "Minimal Programming Mathematics Software" and other mathematical software is its emphasis on minimal coding. This makes it more accessible and user-friendly for those without a strong programming background. It also allows for faster and more efficient calculations, making it a popular choice for time-sensitive projects and research.

Can "Minimal Programming Mathematics Software" be customized for specific needs?

Yes, "Minimal Programming Mathematics Software" can be customized to fit specific needs and preferences. Many programs offer options for different programming languages, interfaces, and tools to cater to the user's specific requirements. Additionally, users can often add their own functions and algorithms to the software to further customize it for their needs.