Minimal Surface between two different coaxial circules

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for the minimal surface of revolution between two coaxial circular rings of different diameters. The solution depends on the spacing between the rings, with the possibility of a hyperbolic cosine curve for close rings and a film covering each circle and a line connecting them for further apart rings. The solution for equal circles is well known, but the solution for different diameters is not mentioned.
RafaelPetros
Dear All,

I am trying do find the minimal surface of revolution between two coaxial circular rings of DIFFERENT diameter.

I could not find it solved in the net. So I tried to solve numerically system (13-14) Minimal Surface of Revolution -- from Wolfram MathWorld
to determine "a" and "b" for given coordinates did not work I got complex solutions...

If anyone knows where I can find the solution of this problem or if anyone can give more info on this will be grate.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends upon the spacing between the rings. If they are close enough, the solution is a hyperbolic cosine curve (IIRC), but if they get further apart, this solution involves too much surface energy and the solution degenerates to a film covering each circle and a line connecting them.

Thanks for reply. Could you pleas tell me were did you red this?

I did not read this. I worked the problem years ago.

Then what is this function of distance between two coaxial rings of different diameters?

I forget, and I do not need to know at the present time. If I did, I would work it out. I suggest the same to you.

Are you sure that you obtained closed form solution for circles which have different diameter?
Solution for the case when circles are equal is well known and also it is in the link which is in my post.

Yes.

1. What is a minimal surface between two different coaxial circles?

A minimal surface between two different coaxial circles is a surface that spans between two circles of different radii, while having the smallest possible surface area. It is also known as a "catenoid".

2. How is a minimal surface between two different coaxial circles formed?

A minimal surface between two different coaxial circles is formed by a fluid surface tension minimizing the surface area between the two circles. It can also be produced by immersing a wire frame in soapy water and pulling it out to form a film between the two circles.

3. What is the significance of minimal surfaces between two different coaxial circles?

Minimal surfaces between two different coaxial circles have important applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model soap bubbles, liquid films, and other natural phenomena where surface tension is involved.

4. How is the surface area of a minimal surface between two different coaxial circles calculated?

The surface area of a minimal surface between two different coaxial circles can be calculated using the formula S = 2πr1r2, where r1 and r2 are the radii of the two circles. This is the minimum possible surface area for any surface spanning between the two circles.

5. Can a minimal surface between two different coaxial circles exist in three-dimensional space?

Yes, a minimal surface between two different coaxial circles can exist in three-dimensional space. In fact, it is impossible to form a minimal surface between two different coaxial circles in two-dimensional space. This is due to the fact that a minimal surface between two different coaxial circles always has a saddle shape and cannot lie flat on a plane.