1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimum distance from a repulsive central force

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass m moves under action of a repulsive central force Fr=Cr-3 with constant C greater than 0. At a very large distance from the centre of the force, the partcle has kinetic energy K and its impact parameter is b. Use conservation of energy and angular momentum to show that the closest m comes to the centre of force is rmin=[tex]\sqrt{b^2+ C/2K}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    L=mbv0
    E=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mvr2+L2/2mr2+V(r)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far, I said that since the object is far away its total energy is K
    I think V(r) = -3C/r2, but I'm not sure.
    And at rmin, E==[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mvrmin2+(mbv)2/2mr2-3C/rmin2

I don't know what to do next.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2
    PHY2333...Assignment is due tomorrow... Still can't get this either. Where do you get -3C/r^2 for V(r)? Would it not be -0.5C/r^2?

4. Oct 22, 2009 #3
    Yeah, I still don't know how to get it.

5. Oct 22, 2009 #4
    oops wrong topic

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  6. Oct 22, 2009 #5
    Take Force integrate from rmin to b, as when r is infinity, it will approximately equal to be, because it is essentially uneffected by the force anyway. this integration will give you the answer. I know its not using angular momentum, but I don't care at this point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook