Minimum velocity to change radius of orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of putting a rocket into an escape orbit around Earth's elliptical orbit. The minimum value of ∆V, the change in velocity, needed for the rocket to escape is calculated using the conservation of energy. The specific mechanical energy of the orbit is related to its semimajor axis, and the required velocity at perigee for escape is found by setting the specific mechanical energy to zero. The difference between this velocity and the initial velocity at perigee will give the value for ∆V.
kraigandrews

Homework Statement

A rocket is in an elliptical orbit around the earth; the radius varies between 1.12 Rearth and 1.24 Rearth. To put the rocket into an escape orbit, its engine is fired briefly in the direction tangent to the orbit when the rocket is at perigee, changing the rocket's velocity by ∆V. Calculate the minimum value of ∆V to escape from Earth orbit.

Homework Equations

mv1r1=mv2r2
.5mv1^2-(GmM)/r1=.5mv2^2-(GmM)/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used energy .5mv1^2-(GMm)/r1=.5mv2^2-(GMm)/r2
then v2=v1(r1/r2) by consv. of angular momentum.
then i solved for v1, this however didnt give me the right answer, I have also tried subtracted v1-v2 for delta_v and still could nt get it. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should only need the conservation of energy for this one. The specific mechanical energy for a bound orbit is negative. Unbound orbits have a specific energy >= zero. At escape velocity the specific mechanical energy is exactly zero.

Do you know how the specific mechanical energy of an orbit is related to its semimajor axis?

Not sure if I understand... Because the rocket isn't escaping the orbit, so it would still have gravitational potential.

kraigandrews said:
Not sure if I understand... Because the rocket isn't escaping the orbit, so it would still have gravitational potential.

The idea is to give the rocket a sufficient change in velocity in order that it achieves escape speed.

Presumably you've found the speed of the rocket at perigee (before it's changed)? What value did you get?

i got 7.505 km/s

Okay, looks about right (the precise value depends upon the values used for G, M, R).

Now, the specific mechanical energy for the orbit is given by:
[tex] \xi = \frac{v^2}{2} - \frac{\mu}{r} [/tex]
As I mentioned, the body becomes unbound (will escape) when [itex]\xi = 0[/itex]. So use this expression for specific mechanical energy to compute the required velocity at perigee for escape to occur. Your Delta-V will be the difference between the two velocities.

Thanks i appreciate it.

What is the minimum velocity needed to change the radius of an orbit?

The minimum velocity required to change the radius of an orbit depends on the specific orbit and the mass of the object being orbited. In general, a higher velocity is required to change the radius of an orbit with a larger radius or a heavier object being orbited.

How does the minimum velocity to change the radius of an orbit relate to the object's mass?

The minimum velocity needed to change the radius of an orbit is directly proportional to the mass of the object being orbited. This means that the more massive the object, the higher the velocity needed to change its orbit.

Can the minimum velocity to change the radius of an orbit be calculated?

Yes, the minimum velocity required to change the radius of an orbit can be calculated using the formula v = √(GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object being orbited, and r is the initial radius of the orbit.

What happens if the minimum velocity is not reached to change the radius of an orbit?

If the minimum velocity required to change the radius of an orbit is not reached, the object will continue to orbit at its current radius. It will not be able to change its orbit and may eventually fall back to the object it is orbiting.

Are there any other factors that affect the minimum velocity to change the radius of an orbit?

Besides the mass of the object being orbited, other factors that can affect the minimum velocity required to change the radius of an orbit include the shape and orientation of the orbit, as well as any external forces acting on the object, such as atmospheric drag or gravitational perturbations from other objects.