Mining Engineering - physics heavy?

In summary, Mining Engineering is not as physics/math heavy as other engineering disciplines. It does require one year of "Calculus Based Physics" and will draw on topics from other fields such as geotechnical engineering and chemistry. The physics aspect is not explicit in the curriculum but is still a practical skill with theoretical grounding. The program also involves a significant amount of geology.
cjwalle
Hey y'all.

I've gotten a quite clear idea of which engineering disciplines are the 'hardest' and involve the most abstract physics, and so on, but I haven't really gotten a clear picture of where Mining Engineering fits into all of this. Is it just as physics/math heavy as the other engineering disciplines? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really. You still will need the one year of "Calculus Based Physics" the rest is classes toward your major, which will probably involve some concepts from physics

It will draw on topics from other fields such as geotechnical engineering and chemistry. Looking at the typical curriculum, the physics seems comparable to other fields like civil or mechanical. Like many engineering courses, it is a practical skill with theoretical grounding in physics, but the physics won't be explicit in the curriculum.

cjwalle said:
Hey y'all.

I've gotten a quite clear idea of which engineering disciplines are the 'hardest' and involve the most abstract physics, and so on, but I haven't really gotten a clear picture of where Mining Engineering fits into all of this. Is it just as physics/math heavy as the other engineering disciplines? Thanks.

my friend is studying mining engineering at SIU, it has a lot of geology involved. actually, the geology department offered to take him in (offering him scholarships) compared to the mining engineering program lol...

1. What is mining engineering?

Mining engineering is a branch of engineering that involves the application of science and technology to extract and process minerals from the earth. It involves the design, construction, and operation of mines, as well as the management of mineral resources.

2. What role does physics play in mining engineering?

Physics plays a crucial role in mining engineering as it helps in understanding the physical properties of rocks and minerals, which are essential for the design and operation of mining processes. Mining engineers use principles of physics to determine the strength and stability of mining structures, as well as to optimize the use of energy and minimize environmental impact.

3. What are some common applications of physics in mining engineering?

Some common applications of physics in mining engineering include geophysics, rock mechanics, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics. Geophysics is used to locate mineral deposits and assess the subsurface conditions, while rock mechanics is applied to understand the behavior of rocks and design safe underground structures. Fluid mechanics is used to design water management systems, and thermodynamics is applied to optimize energy usage in mining operations.

4. How does mining engineering contribute to sustainable development?

Mining engineering plays a significant role in sustainable development by ensuring responsible and efficient use of mineral resources. It involves the development and implementation of environmentally friendly mining practices, such as waste management and land reclamation, to minimize the impact on the environment. Mining engineers also work towards reducing the carbon footprint of mining operations by optimizing energy usage and promoting the use of renewable energy sources.

5. What are the career opportunities in mining engineering?

Mining engineering offers a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in mine planning and design, mineral processing, environmental management, and research and development. Mining engineers can work in various industries, such as mining and mineral processing companies, consulting firms, government agencies, and academia. They can also work in different locations, including remote mining sites and urban areas.