1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Mining Engineering - physics heavy?

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    Hey y'all.

I've gotten a quite clear idea of which engineering disciplines are the 'hardest' and involve the most abstract physics, and so on, but I haven't really gotten a clear picture of where Mining Engineering fits into all of this. Is it just as physics/math heavy as the other engineering disciplines? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2
    Not really. You still will need the one year of "Calculus Based Physics" the rest is classes toward your major, which will probably involve some concepts from physics
  4. Oct 3, 2008 #3
    It will draw on topics from other fields such as geotechnical engineering and chemistry. Looking at the typical curriculum, the physics seems comparable to other fields like civil or mechanical. Like many engineering courses, it is a practical skill with theoretical grounding in physics, but the physics won't be explicit in the curriculum.
  5. Oct 16, 2008 #4
    my friend is studying mining engineering at SIU, it has a lot of geology involved. actually, the geology department offered to take him in (offering him scholarships) compared to the mining engineering program lol...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?