• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Programs Minor in Mathematics or Physics?

Hi all,

I'm currently a freshman studying electrical engineering and I was wondering whether I should try to minor in Mathematics or Physics as a supplement to my studies. I feel like both of them have their individual pros and cons, but I'm not sure exactly what they would be/how they would affect my major(besides having more work) and therefore I'm not sure which one I would like to pursue. I enjoy mathematics probably a little bit more than physics if that is also a contributive factor in this decision.

- off-topic question: I'm in EE right now but have very little experience when it comes to projects/applications of the field and was wondering whether I should focus on studying the material right now and then worry about experience during the summer when I'm not in extracurricular activities or if there's anything I should be doing right now besides studying for my courses.

Student100

Education Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,

I'm currently a freshman studying electrical engineering and I was wondering whether I should try to minor in Mathematics or Physics as a supplement to my studies. I feel like both of them have their individual pros and cons, but I'm not sure exactly what they would be/how they would affect my major(besides having more work) and therefore I'm not sure which one I would like to pursue. I enjoy mathematics probably a little bit more than physics if that is also a contributive factor in this decision.

- off-topic question: I'm in EE right now but have very little experience when it comes to projects/applications of the field and was wondering whether I should focus on studying the material right now and then worry about experience during the summer when I'm not in extracurricular activities or if there's anything I should be doing right now besides studying for my courses.
Does your university offer minors in fields of EE? Like analogue circuits/digital circuits/communication theory? Those would be more applicable. Other than that I would save your electives for more EE courses.