Minor in Mathematics or Physics?

In summary, the student is a freshman studying electrical engineering and is considering minoring in either Mathematics or Physics. They are unsure of the pros and cons of each and how it would affect their major. They enjoy mathematics more but are not sure if this should be a factor in their decision. They also inquired about gaining experience in the field. It is suggested to look into minors offered in the field of EE or to save electives for more EE courses.
Thewindyfan
Hi all,

I'm currently a freshman studying electrical engineering and I was wondering whether I should try to minor in Mathematics or Physics as a supplement to my studies. I feel like both of them have their individual pros and cons, but I'm not sure exactly what they would be/how they would affect my major(besides having more work) and therefore I'm not sure which one I would like to pursue. I enjoy mathematics probably a little bit more than physics if that is also a contributive factor in this decision.

- off-topic question: I'm in EE right now but have very little experience when it comes to projects/applications of the field and was wondering whether I should focus on studying the material right now and then worry about experience during the summer when I'm not in extracurricular activities or if there's anything I should be doing right now besides studying for my courses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thewindyfan said:
Hi all,

I'm currently a freshman studying electrical engineering and I was wondering whether I should try to minor in Mathematics or Physics as a supplement to my studies. I feel like both of them have their individual pros and cons, but I'm not sure exactly what they would be/how they would affect my major(besides having more work) and therefore I'm not sure which one I would like to pursue. I enjoy mathematics probably a little bit more than physics if that is also a contributive factor in this decision.

- off-topic question: I'm in EE right now but have very little experience when it comes to projects/applications of the field and was wondering whether I should focus on studying the material right now and then worry about experience during the summer when I'm not in extracurricular activities or if there's anything I should be doing right now besides studying for my courses.

Does your university offer minors in fields of EE? Like analogue circuits/digital circuits/communication theory? Those would be more applicable. Other than that I would save your electives for more EE courses.

1. What is a minor in Mathematics or Physics?

A minor in Mathematics or Physics is an academic program that requires students to take a certain number of courses in these subjects in addition to their major program. It provides students with a solid foundation in mathematical and scientific principles, and can complement a wide range of majors.

2. What are the benefits of minoring in Mathematics or Physics?

Minoring in Mathematics or Physics can improve critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and quantitative reasoning. It can also make students more attractive to employers in fields that require strong analytical skills, such as finance, data science, and engineering.

3. How does a minor in Mathematics or Physics differ from a major?

A minor typically requires fewer courses and a smaller time commitment compared to a major. While a major is a student's primary area of study, a minor is meant to supplement their major and provide a secondary area of expertise.

4. Can I minor in both Mathematics and Physics?

Yes, it is possible to minor in both Mathematics and Physics. However, it may require careful planning and time management to complete all the necessary courses for both minors. Some universities also offer a combined minor in Mathematics and Physics, which may be a more streamlined option.

5. Do I need a strong background in Mathematics or Physics to minor in them?

While having some prior knowledge in these subjects can be helpful, it is not always necessary to have a strong background in Mathematics or Physics to minor in them. Many universities offer introductory courses for students with little to no background in these subjects, and students can also seek help from tutors or professors if they need extra support.