Mirror equations - basic math error - what is it?

In summary: I am now back on track and understand what I was doing wrong. Thanks!In summary, the conversation discussed an object located in front of a convex mirror and the placement of a second object in front of the mirror. The solution was found to be 42.00cm for the location of the second object using the mirror equation and the ratio of image and object heights. However, in the attempt at finding this solution, there was a mistake made in combining terms with the inverse. By finding a common denominator and combining terms correctly, the correct solution was achieved.
Hemingway

Homework Statement

An object is located 14.0cm in front of a convex mirror the image is being 7.00cm behind the mirror. A second object twice as tall as the first one is placed in front of the mirror, but at a different location. The image of this second object had the same height as the other imafe. how far in front of the mirror is the second object located?

I've seen the solution, where the do2 = +42.00cm
The last line of the solution is as follows and is where I get lost. (please see part 3 - attempt at solution)

Homework Equations

1/do + 1/di = 1/f
hi/ho = -di/do

The Attempt at a Solution

I've seen thttp://www.scribd.com/doc/27149366/Ch-25-PHYSICS-CUTNELL-SOLUTIONS-MANUEL-7th-EDITION-go-to-other-document-for-8th-version-conversion" , (problem 39) where the do2 = +42.00cm

The last line of the solution is as follows and is where I get lost

Using this result in the mirror equation, as applied to the second object, we find that

1/do + 1/di = 1/f
1/d0 = 1/f - 1/di
1/do = (1/-14.00) - (1/-0.25do)
do = 42.00cm

in the ... section this is my attempt which is incorrect.

1/do = -0.25do - -14.00/ 3.5do
do = 1/(13.75/3.5)
do = 0.255 [completely incorrect]

I know I am looking at a basic error here forgetting fractions or something very basic but cannot recall what it is . Can someone break it down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hemingway said:

do = 1/(13.75/3.5)
do = 0.255 [completely incorrect]

Use parentheses correctly. 1/do = 1/(-14) - 1/(-0.25 do).

You can rewrite it as

1/do-1/(0.25do) =-1/14.

simplify the left-hand side, and take the reciprocal of both sides.

ehild

Hemingway said:

I'm not following you on that last step (in red).

Go back to the previous representation,
1/do = (1/-14.00) - (1/-0.25do)​

You have a do on the left side of the equation, and another do in one of the terms on the right side. Move that term on the right side to the left side of the equation. Then combine terms until you have a single term. Don't worry about the (1/-14.00) term until after you've combined all the terms with do.

[Edit: ehild beat me to the hint.]

1/do - 1/.25do = 1/-14
1/.75do = 1/-14
1.3do = 1/-14
This still doesn't seem to get to the answer.

Could someone show me step by step to how they would get to the answer? I am just too confused. I tried :) I'm finding it difficult to simplify with the inverse.

Cheers

Hemingway said:
1/do - 1/.25do = 1/-14
1/.75do = 1/-14
As ehild implied earlier, that's not the way to add fractions.

[tex] \frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b} \ne \frac{1}{a + b} [/tex]

Instead, you need to find a common denominator.

So let's start with the equation you're working with:

[tex] \frac{1}{d_o} - \frac{1}{0.25 d_o} = \frac{1}{-14} [/tex]

First find a common denominator, for the left side the equation. By inspection, notice that 0.25 goes into 1.0 four times. So an easy choice would be to multiply the numerator and denominator by 4 in the second term.

[tex] \frac{1}{d_o} - \frac{4}{(4)(0.25) d_o} = \frac{1}{-14} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{d_o} - \frac{4}{d_o} = \frac{1}{-14} [/tex]

Now you can combine both terms on the left side of the equation:

[tex] \frac{1 \ - \ 4}{d_o} = \frac{1}{-14} [/tex]

You should be able to finish it from there. :smile:
==============================================

There are other ways to find common denominators, so use whichever method you like best. But there is always one full-proof method that works in all situations, which is to multiply the denominators together. That will always be a common denominator (this method is useful if you can't think of a better common denominator first).

[tex] \frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b} [/tex]

[tex] = \left( \frac{b}{b} \right) \left(\frac{1}{a} \right) + \left( \frac{a}{a} \right)\left(\frac{1}{b} \right)[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{b}{ab} + \frac{a}{ab} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{a + b}{ab} [/tex]

Thus,

[tex] \frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b} = \frac{a + b}{ab}[/tex]

Try this method on your particular problem and see if you get the same answer as the method used above. :wink:

Thank you! It's hard sometimes when you instinctively know you're doing the wrong thing - but you've just hit an intellectual wall. Thank you so much everybody for helping me out. Many thanks CollinsMark - that would have taken some time to do and I appreciate it.

1. What are mirror equations in basic math?

Mirror equations in basic math are mathematical equations that involve the use of mirrors, specifically plane mirrors. These equations are used to calculate the position, size, and orientation of an object's image in a mirror.

2. What is the most common error when working with mirror equations?

The most common error when working with mirror equations is forgetting to take into account the distance between the object and the mirror. This distance, known as the object distance, is a crucial factor in determining the position and size of the image in a mirror.

3. How do you calculate the object distance in a mirror equation?

The object distance in a mirror equation can be calculated by measuring the distance between the object and the mirror. This distance is then used as a variable in the equation, along with the focal length of the mirror, to determine the position and size of the image.

4. What is the difference between a real and virtual image in mirror equations?

A real image is formed when the reflected rays of light actually converge at a point, allowing the image to be projected onto a screen. A virtual image, on the other hand, is formed when the reflected rays of light only appear to converge at a point but do not actually do so. In mirror equations, the position and size of the image will differ depending on whether it is real or virtual.

5. How can mirror equations be applied in real-life situations?

Mirror equations can be applied in various real-life situations such as designing mirrors for telescopes, determining the size and position of objects in rear-view mirrors, and even in the construction of buildings to ensure proper placement of mirrors for maximum reflection.