1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convex mirror find object distance

Tags:
  1. Mar 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object is placed in front of a convex mirror with a 45.6-cm radius of curvature. A virtual image half the size of the object is formed. At what distance is the object from the mirror?

2. Relevant equations
    1/f=1/d0+1/di
    hi/h0=-di/d0

3. The attempt at a solution
    hi=-1/2h0
    f=45.6/2=22.8

di=-1/2d0

1/22.8=1/d0-2/d0
    d0=-22.8

This is my solution but this is nor correct.....anyone plz tell me the mistake. thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2015 #2

Suraj M

Gold Member

Firstly please use brackets, it looks like it may be ##d_i=\frac{-1}{2d_o}##or ##d_i=\frac{-1}{2}d_o##
    and i don't see the need for the -ve sign in the above equation(logically).
    Also because when you substitute the ##h_i## you should negate it as it is inverted, so there shouldn't be a -ve sign for your above equation

4. Mar 17, 2015 #3
    ok so after editing the ans becomes
    1/22.8=1/d0+2/d0
    d0=68.4

5. Mar 18, 2015 #4

Suraj M

Gold Member

I'm sorry i correct myself, i thought it was a concave mirror, so you shouldn't negate ##h_i## as it is erect.
    you were right. The answer you have obtained, looks to be right. Why do you feel it is wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted