News Misinformation in the News (Science Says Fox News is Making You Dumb)

• Thread starter Cfire
  • Start date

russ_watters

Mentor
As I grow older, more widely read, and hopefully just a little bit wiser, I'm coming to the realization that the term "conspiracy theory" was invented as it was, heavily laden with negative connotation, to label and thereby discount the opinions of those few folks who saw through the smoke screens and were beginning to discern what was really going on behind the scenes.

Well, some of the time, anyway. Certain things like chemtrails remain firmly ensconsed deep into CT terrority, with all the negative connotation they deserve.
Heh - well, you can't have it both ways. The key component of conspiracy theory is lack of (or utter misinterpretation of) evidence.

Hepth

Gold Member
The fact that he supported the cut while not even believing it to be a good idea makes it even worse. Supporting something you don't like in an attempt to make you look better makes you look worse in my eyes.
I think most democrats would disagree with you (and I think either way to look at the issue is legitimate).....so now do you see the difficulty with that question?
I'm not really aligned with any respective party though I tend toward Democrat, and I DO disagree with his statement. Isn't it pretty much putting a negative spin on simple political strategy? Isn't supporting something you don't want in effort to promote negotiations or to garner some support across party lines a GOOD thing?

If it isn't then there's sort of a problem. Its like : "I don't like what you're supporting, so I won't cooperate... oh you're supporting it now so I cooperate? Well I don't respect you for changing your mind about it, and you have no solid principles. I no longer respect you so I won't cooperate."

Always seems to happen regardless of political party.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For the tax cuts: in my mind, lobbying for something and then voting for it will always be supporting it. Whether Obama supported the tax cut for the rich because of political considerations or because he believed in them ideologically is immaterial. The fact is, he supported it.

The fact that he supported the cut while not even believing it to be a good idea makes it even worse. Supporting something you don't like in an attempt to make you look better makes you look worse in my eyes.
He had no choice. Politics is the art of the possible.

The Republicans were holding the country hostage, so Obama got the best deal he could while it was still possible - before the new Reps take office. I esp hate the estate tax breaks, but I applaud Obama for his good sense. He did what was best for the country.

The Reps have filibustered 87 times this year [I thought it was in two years but the report I read said it was in one year!]. Do you think for a moment that they wouldn't have made it 88? Just delay things a few weeks and Obama would have gotten far less of what we actually needed. As it is he got everything he was trying to get for the American people.

Last edited:
I'm not really aligned with any respective party though I tend toward Democrat, and I DO disagree with his statement. Isn't it pretty much putting a negative spin on simple political strategy? Isn't supporting something you don't want in effort to promote negotiations or to garner some support across party lines a GOOD thing?

If it isn't then there's sort of a problem. Its like : "I don't like what you're supporting, so I won't cooperate... oh you're supporting it now so I cooperate? Well I don't respect you for changing your mind about it, and you have no solid principles. I no longer respect you so I won't cooperate."

Always seems to happen regardless of political party.
Yep, but you have to be someone who is unaffiliated (truly) to gain that kind of perspective, and not go a bit mad from anger at the perceived treachery of one party vs. the other.

The Republicans were holding the country hostage, so Obama got the best deal he would while it was still possible - before the new Reps take office.
...And now congress is doing the same thing with the same people so that 9/11 first responders can get the additional aid required. Amazing how when nobody is happy, things get done.

The Republicans were holding the country hostage, so Obama got the best deal he could while it was still possible - before the new Reps take office. I esp hate the estate tax breaks, but I applaud Obama for his good sense. He did what was best for the country.
Why do you "esp hate the estate tax"? Is it because it's not fair to cash poor families with assets such as real estate (that's already subject to property taxes)?

Given that the republicans wanted 10 million, and the dems 1 mil... 5 does seem like a pretty reasonable compromise. Maybe I'm being naive here, and I'll freely admit that I don't stand to inherit so much that this effects me, and I'm yet to produce descendants.

Given that the republicans wanted 10 million, and the dems 1 mil... 5 does seem like a pretty reasonable compromise. Maybe I'm being naive here, and I'll freely admit that I don't stand to inherit so much that this effects me, and I'm yet to produce descendants.
When the politicians randomly throw around ranges of $1 to $10 million and rates of 35% to 55% - they aren't "thinking" - they're just making noise like a gaggle of geese (hope that was correct) trying to look good for the video clip/sound bite.

How can we consider these numbers and percentages to be anything but arbitrary. If they had a plan, and the tax was needed to make their plan work, the discussion might be reasonable. But, their only plan seems to be to tax anything and everything that can at any rate they can sell and spend it any way that will gain them (power) votes.

This tax will hurt struggling family businesses. Ironically, it will mean a boom for the insurance industry.

A

Al68

...I esp hate the estate tax breaks...
Why do you "esp hate the estate tax"?
I think he meant that he hated that government was only going to partially confiscate private estates (above a specified value) at a 35% rate instead of some higher percentage that he favors.

Of course Dems normally describe it using http://www.cpusa.org/" [Broken], referring to the unconfiscated amount (or part of it) as if it were a gift from government, as if inherited private property (or a large percentage of it) rightfully belongs to government.

Gee, I wonder if any such advocates of private property confiscation will object to the word "http://www.cpusa.org/" [Broken]?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he meant that he hated that government was only going to partially confiscate private estates at a 35% rate instead of some higher percentage that he favors.

Of course Dems normally describe it using commiespeak, referring to the unconfiscated amount (or part of it) as if it were a gift from government, as if inherited private property (or a large percentage of it) rightfully belongs to government.

Gee, I wonder if any such advocates of private property confiscation will object to the word "commiespeak?"
Shall I just report you quick and get an expedited:rofl: decision?

A

Al68

Shall I just report you quick and get an expedited:rofl: decision?
LOL. Sure. But I did edit my post to capitalize "Commiespeak" and provide a link to the Communist Party USA, since Communist can refer to the official party, not just their ideology. Unless someone objects to using "Commie" as a shortened form of "Communist." :uhh:

If Fox makes you dumb - how does this story make you feel?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Obama-calls-Eagles-owner-to-congraulate-him-for-?urn=nfl-300632

"NBC's Peter King reports that Barack Obama called Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie earlier this week to congratulate him for giving Vick a second chance after his release from prison. According to King, the president said that released prisoners rarely receive a level playing field and that Vick's story could begin to change that.

Forget your political allegiances or feelings about Michael Vick and take a step back to think about this. The sitting president of the United States went out of his way to publicly praise a man who, 3 1/2 years ago, many thought would never play again in the NFL. Even the most ardent believers in Vick couldn't have fathomed a turn-around like this."

Perhaps the President didn't see this information from the USDA?
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/22186207/detail.html [Broken]
"WASHINGTON -- The United States Department of Agriculture, in response to a Freedom of Information Act request by WSBTV.COM, has released hundreds of pages of new evidence in its high-profile investigation of NFL quarterback Michael Vick.

The newly released documents include summaries of interrogations conducted by federal investigators with member of Vick's dogfighting ring and with confidential informants in the case.

Among the most noteworthy revelations listed in the papers:
A confidential informant told investigators Vick drowned dogs, shot others to death and killed "them with a shovel." Vick was also accused of getting an "adrenaline high while killing the dogs.""

If Fox makes you dumb - how does this story make you feel?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Obama-calls-Eagles-owner-to-congraulate-him-for-?urn=nfl-300632

"NBC's Peter King reports that Barack Obama called Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie earlier this week to congratulate him for giving Vick a second chance after his release from prison. According to King, the president said that released prisoners rarely receive a level playing field and that Vick's story could begin to change that.

Forget your political allegiances or feelings about Michael Vick and take a step back to think about this. The sitting president of the United States went out of his way to publicly praise a man who, 3 1/2 years ago, many thought would never play again in the NFL. Even the most ardent believers in Vick couldn't have fathomed a turn-around like this."

Perhaps the President didn't see this information from the USDA?
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/22186207/detail.html [Broken]
"WASHINGTON -- The United States Department of Agriculture, in response to a Freedom of Information Act request by WSBTV.COM, has released hundreds of pages of new evidence in its high-profile investigation of NFL quarterback Michael Vick.

The newly released documents include summaries of interrogations conducted by federal investigators with member of Vick's dogfighting ring and with confidential informants in the case.

Among the most noteworthy revelations listed in the papers:
A confidential informant told investigators Vick drowned dogs, shot others to death and killed "them with a shovel." Vick was also accused of getting an "adrenaline high while killing the dogs.""
Less annoyed than I do watching any 5 minutes of Fox News, CNN, or MSNBC. I also note... ...And our last president was an admitted former alcoholic (and snorted rails of coke), the one before couldn't keep it in his pants, the one before was part of Iran-Contra (and more) with the one before that!... and Carter... and so forth.

As for Vick, Obama, the head of the Humane Society... clearly he's perceived to have changed (plus he's winning). Personally I'd like to see him eaten by dogs, so my reaction to Obama, the head of the Humane Society, and others is INCREDIBLY negative. That is the direct answer to your question... it's annoying, but I wouldn't even know about it if not for this thread so... *shrug*. I care a lot more about wars, spending policies, the USSC, and plugging the holes that rats like Assange seem to find. So, in that sense, this isn't a blip on my radar... how is it on yours? I mean, I LOVE animals, but the man went to prison... what more can I ask for?

King is right, but of course most people can't play football and therefore earn money the way he does, so his life isn't exactly a level playing field. Honestly, the whole thing is a stupid distraction which IS the point of outlets like fox news, and msnbc.

I guess in the end I feel that some people just like to feel outraged in defense of their ideology, and now there's a network for both parties, and one for people who crave punishment through the eyeballs and ears. That's probably more annoying than anything else in this thread.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving