1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Missile Landing Radius Problem (Orbital mechanics)

1. Aug 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At time t=0, there is a missile at a height h directly above the perfectly round Earth moving tangential to the surface of Earth. What must be the maximum velocity of the missile at t=0 if it must land within radius r on Earth directly below its initial position by the time it strikes the ground?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried using some orbital mechanics equations by visualizing the trajectory of the missile as a parabola. At t=0, the object is at apoapsis and at final time (when it strikes the ground), it's at periapsis. I tried equations such as

momentum = radius at apoapsis * velocity at apoapsis
    semi-latus rectum = momentum^2/gravitational constant

in order to find the velocity at apoapsis but I have no idea what the radius at apoapsis should be. The apoapsis radius must be greater than h and less than h+R_earth but other than that, I have no clue on how to find it.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2009 #2
    If you replace g by [tex]\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex], things become much easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook