Calculating Orbital Radius from Albedo and Temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for a planet to have an atmosphere and the task of finding the radius of a planet's orbit around the Sun given its mass, radius, albedo, and gas composition. The conversation also mentions the use of equations to solve for the maximum temperature and the concept of equilibrium temperature in relation to incoming radiation.
spinnaker

Homework Statement

Assume that a planet can have an atmosphere if the escape speed of the planet is 6 times larger than the thermal speed of the molecules in the atmosphere (also known as the root-mean-square molecular velocity). Suppose a hypothetical object having the same mass and radius as Mercury, and an albedo of 0.1, orbits the Sun at just the right location for this condition to be met. Assume that its atmosphere is made of up of carbon dioxide. What is the radius of the this object's orbit around the Sun?

Homework Equations

v_esc = sqrt(2GM/R)
M = M_Merc = 3.30 x 10^23 kg
R = R_Merc = 2.439 x 10^6 m
albedo = 0.1

v_esc = 6 v_rms = 6 sqrt (3kT/M_CO2); M_CO2 = 44(1.67e-27) = 7.348e-26

The Attempt at a Solution

I equated v_esc and 6 v_rms:

sqrt(2GM/R) = 6 sqrt(3kT/M_CO2)

and solved for T, getting me a theoretical maximum temperature of 889.87K.

After this I'm completely stuck. I don't know where albedo kicks in, and I don't know how to get the radius of an orbit around the Sun from the rms velocity or the escape velocity.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you have the surface temperature you don't need velocities any more. This the astronomy part: if a planet absorbs .1 of the incoming light and acts as a perfect blackbody emitter for infrared, how does its equilibrium temperature depend on the incoming radiation (which then depends on the orbital radius)?

Related to Calculating Orbital Radius from Albedo and Temperature?

1. What is albedo?

Albedo is a measure of the reflectivity of a surface. It is expressed as a percentage, with 0% being completely absorbent and 100% being completely reflective.

2. How does albedo affect planetary orbit?

The albedo of a planet affects its temperature, which in turn affects its orbit. A higher albedo means more sunlight is reflected, resulting in a cooler planet and a wider orbit. A lower albedo means less sunlight is reflected, resulting in a warmer planet and a closer orbit.

3. What is the relationship between albedo and climate change?

Albedo plays a significant role in climate change. As the Earth's albedo decreases due to factors such as melting ice caps, more sunlight is absorbed, causing the planet to warm. This can lead to changes in weather patterns and other effects associated with climate change.

4. How is albedo measured?

Albedo is measured using instruments such as radiometers, which measure the amount of light reflected from a surface. These measurements are typically compared to a standard reference, such as the albedo of freshly fallen snow.

5. Can albedo be artificially manipulated?

Yes, albedo can be artificially manipulated through various methods such as painting roofs and roads with reflective materials, planting more vegetation, or using geoengineering techniques. However, these methods have potential consequences and should be carefully considered before implementation.