Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Missing energy for new physics

1. Aug 25, 2017 #1
    Hello! I understand that missing energy is a sign for new physics (BSM, supersymmetry). However, almost all the time, the missing energy is associated with neutrinos. How can someone decide if some missing energy comes from somewhere else, other than neutrinos? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Estimate how many events you expect from neutrinos, then see if you find more than that. Binning the analysis in missing transverse momentum or similar observables helps to distinguish between neutrinos and BSM particles, as they will generally lead to different distributions.

4. Aug 25, 2017 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Hi

Well, not exactly... there is missing energy due to:
    1) Standard Model processes (real missing ET)
    2) Mismeasurement of the energy of the particles in each event (or even losing some objects).
    The large missing energy is more likely to come from neutrinos, rather than a mismeasurement of your hard particles.

Well this is kinda vague... one example that comes to my mind out of the blue:
    Are there standard model processes that don't produce missing energy due to neutrinos? If yes (and it's a yes, for example Zmumu or Zee), then you can try and pick up those processes, and test how much missing et you actually measure... since there is no "neutrinos" in these processes, then you know that the missing et is actually coming from your mismeasurement...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted