1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Missing thing while solving physics problems

1. Feb 8, 2017 #1
    I am trying to solve some physics problems but sometimes I miss some stuff.Like in the logical part sometimes I forget to include some force or things like that.I am a freshman student.
    Is it improve over time (to see the missing part that I couldnt see ) or ıt depends the question number that I solve ?

It may sound stupid question but its important for me

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2017 #2
    Hello Arman777,
    It is normal to forget but in physics, try to develop passion for the subject. Also, once you start handling a problem, if you can derive formulas from first principles. If not, just keep your focus there so that you do not forget
    Regards

4. Feb 8, 2017 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

From "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" 2nd Ed. by Mary Boas:

It means that you have to practice, practice, and practice till (i) you learn from your mistakes and (ii) you get a feel for that type of problems.

There are no short cuts.

Zz.

5. Feb 9, 2017 #4
    Thanks , I see now...Then lets work

6. Feb 9, 2017 #5
    I like solving problems and studying physics.Just sometimes, as I said, I forget to add stuff and its annoying for me.

7. Feb 9, 2017 #6
    Sometimes clicking the like button is not enough to emphasize an idea of essential importance. Gotta quote it and bold it.

8. Feb 9, 2017 #7
    I understand the idea.Thanks

9. Feb 9, 2017 #8

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First thing to do with a new problem is always to analyse it conceptually . Sums come later .

If you really understand how a system works then the maths needed to get an actual solution is generally much easier to formulate .

Try to develop a capability to visualise problems either in your mind or by doing sketches .

10. Feb 9, 2017 #9
    Yeah..In that first part.Sometimes I forget friction or some logical values ext..I have to do solve and analyse step by step I guess.Which thats the way how should it be done.In that case mostly I can solve the problems

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  11. Feb 9, 2017 #10

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take heart anyway - a problem which is difficult to solve the first time becomes easy to solve the second time and positively boring the third time .

12. Feb 9, 2017 #11
    :smile::smile:

It was nice

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted