Missing Thread "Wind Stress on a Simply Supported Structure

• Thread starter erobz
  • Start date
In summary, the thread titled "Wind stress on a simply supported structure" in the Engineering HW section "Houdinied" and was later deleted due to the OP realizing they had posted proprietary information. Although the thread had good replies, it was ultimately deleted. There were discussions about points being awarded for the thread, but it was ultimately decided to just forget about it.
erobz
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Anyone know why this thread "fell into a black hole"?

https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6867531/

It was titled "Wind stress on a simply supported structure" in the Engineering HW section.

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember seeing the title. Was it in ME or in the schoolwork Engineering forum?

berkeman said:
I remember seeing the title. Was it in ME or in the schoolwork Engineering forum?
It was in Engineering HW section. It seemed to have concluded, I just wonder why it "Houdinied"

I see that it was deleted, but I know know why yet. I've sent a PM to the person who deleted it, so I'll update you as soon as I hear back.

Likes erobz
Okay, it turns out it was for work, not for schoolwork, and the OP realized that they had posted proprietary information in the thread. We normally don't delete threads with good replies, and the OP now understands that. You and @Lnewqban spent a lot of time giving great help to that poster; sorry about the deletion.

Likes erobz
berkeman said:
I see that it was deleted, but I know know why yet. I've sent a PM to the person who deleted it, so I'll update you as soon as I hear back.
Ok. I was just going to say: If I'm getting more points for something, just forget I asked...:nb)

• Haha
Likes Klystron and berkeman
Well, there are good points and bad points to be had... :wink:

Likes erobz

1. What is wind stress?

Wind stress refers to the force exerted by wind on a structure or object. It is caused by the movement of air molecules and can vary depending on factors such as wind speed, direction, and the shape of the structure.

2. How does wind stress affect a simply supported structure?

A simply supported structure is one that is supported on both ends and free to move in the middle. Wind stress can cause this type of structure to vibrate and potentially lead to structural damage or failure if it exceeds the structure's strength and stability.

3. What is the missing thread in the study of wind stress on a simply supported structure?

The missing thread in this study is the lack of understanding of how wind stress affects the dynamic response of a simply supported structure. While there is research on the static effects of wind stress, there is a gap in knowledge about its impact on the dynamic behavior of structures.

4. Why is it important to study wind stress on a simply supported structure?

Studying wind stress on a simply supported structure is crucial for ensuring the safety and stability of buildings, bridges, and other structures that are exposed to wind. It can also help engineers and designers make informed decisions about the materials and design of structures to withstand wind stress.

5. What are some potential solutions to mitigate the effects of wind stress on a simply supported structure?

There are several ways to mitigate the effects of wind stress on a simply supported structure, including using wind-resistant materials, incorporating aerodynamic design features, and implementing structural reinforcements. Additionally, conducting further research and developing more advanced modeling techniques can also aid in mitigating the impact of wind stress on structures.