MIT vs Princeton vs Wisconsin vs UCLA for plasma phys.

In summary, the conversation revolved around the best program or research in plasma physics. Wisconsin, MIT, and Princeton were all mentioned as top contenders, with UCLA also being a good school. The funding for Alcator CMOD was mentioned, with its future being uncertain. The person speaking is interested in theory and computation, but open to experimental work as well.
Hercuflea
Which has the best program/research in plasma physics? I would have said Wisconsin but Alcator CMOD got its funding back this year so maybe MIT?

I am talking about either the engineering or physics departments, doesn't matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really into plasma, but one of my friends who wants to do plasma has raved about Princeton's program and is desperate to get in there for graduate school. Hopefully someone who's more qualified can help!

Are you a senior? Are you interested in Theory, Computation, or Experiment? Are their particular people that you're interested in working with, or experiments that you want to work on?

I always say Wisconsin, but I'm biased!

Truthfully Wisconsin, MIT, and Princeton are all good. You can't go wrong with either.
UCLA is a good school too. I think they focus more on basic plasma physics and less on magnetic fusion.

CMODs is only funded for this year. Its future is still unclear, and there is no guarantee that it will be funded in the future.

I'm leaning more towards theory and computation but I'd be open to experimental work too.

I cannot provide a definitive answer as to which institution has the best program or research in plasma physics. Each of these universities has a strong reputation in this field and has made significant contributions to the understanding of plasma physics. MIT, Princeton, Wisconsin, and UCLA all have exceptional faculty, state-of-the-art facilities, and a long history of groundbreaking research in plasma physics.

It is worth noting that the success of a research program is not solely determined by the availability of funding. While funding is certainly important, it is the quality of the research and the expertise of the researchers that ultimately drive progress in any field. Therefore, it is difficult to definitively say that one institution has the best program or research in plasma physics based solely on the restoration of funding for a specific project.

Ultimately, I would encourage anyone interested in plasma physics to thoroughly research the programs and research being conducted at each of these institutions and make a decision based on their own personal interests and goals. Each of these universities has a unique approach to plasma physics research and offers valuable opportunities for students and researchers alike.

1. What are the differences in research opportunities between MIT, Princeton, Wisconsin, and UCLA for plasma physics?

Each of these universities has a strong and reputable plasma physics program, and all offer a variety of research opportunities for students interested in this field. However, MIT and Princeton are generally considered to have more extensive and well-funded research programs compared to Wisconsin and UCLA. This is due to their larger budgets and higher rankings in the field of plasma physics.

2. Which university has the strongest curriculum for plasma physics?

All four universities have rigorous and comprehensive curriculums for plasma physics, with courses covering topics such as plasma physics fundamentals, plasma diagnostics, and plasma instabilities. However, MIT and Princeton are known for their strong emphasis on theoretical plasma physics, while Wisconsin and UCLA have a more applied approach to the subject.

3. What are the job prospects for graduates of the plasma physics programs at MIT, Princeton, Wisconsin, and UCLA?

Graduates from any of these universities' plasma physics programs are highly sought after in both academia and industry. However, MIT and Princeton have a reputation for producing top-notch researchers and professors in the field, while Wisconsin and UCLA have a strong track record of placing graduates in positions at national laboratories and private companies.

4. How do the facilities and resources for plasma physics research compare between these universities?

All four universities have state-of-the-art facilities and resources for conducting plasma physics research, including advanced plasma reactors, diagnostics tools, and computational resources. However, MIT and Princeton have larger and more well-equipped research facilities, thanks to their larger budgets and research endowments.

5. What is the student experience like at MIT, Princeton, Wisconsin, and UCLA for those studying plasma physics?

All four universities have vibrant and diverse student communities, and each offers a unique experience for students studying plasma physics. MIT and Princeton are known for their intense and competitive academic environments, while Wisconsin and UCLA have a more laid-back and collaborative atmosphere. Ultimately, the best student experience will depend on individual preferences and priorities.