Mixing of Strong acid and Weak acid

In summary: There is not enough information to answer the question, as it depends on relative strengths of the acids, their concentrations and volumes mixed. In general the pH of the mixture will be somewhere between original pH values.I strongly suggest you read about the equilibrium calculations, acid dissociation constant and related things, this is the only reasonable approach to solving this type of problems. It is not difficult if you have some basic math skills.There is no such thing as a definitive list of "pH of a fruits and vegetables". Fruits are not identical. One apple can be sour, the other can be sweet, and the pH difference can be quite large. At best you can get ranges of pH.
Jay the EE
Hi! I want to clarify what will happen if you mix two acids. One is stronger and One is less stronger. What will be the pH level result? for example if the acid is the juice from lemon which is at 2.0 be mix with orange ph level of 3.0, will it be greater than less than 2.0? or will it be 2.5?

Kindly site some references of the basis of the answers :D badly needed it for my research. I am not a chemistry student. so if you can explain it in a simple way then its better. Thanks guys!

PS: if you have list of ph level charts all of fruits and vegetables. I find contradicting tables found on google. I am currently basing my data on the FDA files

Chemistry news on Phys.org
There is not enough information to answer the question, as it depends on relative strengths of the acids, their concentrations and volumes mixed. In general the pH of the mixture will be somewhere between original pH values.

I strongly suggest you read about the equilibrium calculations, acid dissociation constant and related things, this is the only reasonable approach to solving this type of problems. It is not difficult if you have some basic math skills.

There is no such thing as a definitive list of "pH of a fruits and vegetables". Fruits are not identical. One apple can be sour, the other can be sweet, and the pH difference can be quite large. At best you can get ranges of pH.

Likes symbolipoint
Borek said:
There is not enough information to answer the question, as it depends on relative strengths of the acids, their concentrations and volumes mixed. In general the pH of the mixture will be somewhere between original pH values.

I strongly suggest you read about the equilibrium calculations, acid dissociation constant and related things, this is the only reasonable approach to solving this type of problems. It is not difficult if you have some basic math skills.

There is no such thing as a definitive list of "pH of a fruits and vegetables". Fruits are not identical. One apple can be sour, the other can be sweet, and the pH difference can be quite large. At best you can get ranges of pH.
Borek said:

Thanks for the info about the pH level thing.

is there a theory that could say that in general the mixture will be between the original ph values? is there a book or a reliable online source you can share?

What I am really trying to do is to for example, extract the juice of tomatoes and lime, then combine then. I just need to know or atleast assume the result based on theory. I am having a hard time looking for references :( i badly needed them for my research proposal. Need a theory to back up the idea of being able to mix acid with another acid.

Anyway, will the nernst equation be helpful with my problem?

Borek said:

to be honest the idea for the research i am currently doing is using the wasted fruits and veggies as electrochemical energy source and set it up like galvanic cell to generate voltage. I need to learn the possibility of adding acids to acids and the resulting ph level since voltage will be dependent with the ph level.

Jay the EE said:
is there a theory that could say that in general the mixture will be between the original ph values? is there a book or a reliable online source you can share?

Any General Chemistry book is a reference - even if they won't have this particular answer ready.

When it comes to calculating pH (which is what the problem really is about) you can try to read http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=toc

What I am really trying to do is to for example, extract the juice of tomatoes and lime, then combine then. I just need to know or atleast assume the result based on theory. I am having a hard time looking for references :( i badly needed them for my research proposal. Need a theory to back up the idea of being able to mix acid with another acid.

You can't find a reference for this particular problem as nobody bothers with such things. You are asking for a reference saying that 123*456=56088, instead of a reference explaining how the multiplication works.

Anyway, will the nernst equation be helpful with my problem?

No, Nernst equation deals with redox systems, not acid/base reactions.

I really, really suggest you start with back chemistry, GenChem101 is what you need.

Likes symbolipoint
Jay the EE said:
to be honest the idea for the research i am currently doing is using the wasted fruits and veggies as electrochemical energy source and set it up like galvanic cell to generate voltage. I need to learn the possibility of adding acids to acids and the resulting ph level since voltage will be dependent with the ph level.

pH itself can't be a source of energy.

Drying and burning would work much better.

Borek said:
pH itself can't be a source of energy.

Drying and burning would work much better.

oh yeah but i read on some sites and research that the more acidic the better it will serve as an electrolyte for the battery cell set up.

So if i try to heat up the extracted juice, would it be yielding better results?

Jay the EE said:
So if i try to heat up the extracted juice, would it be yielding better results?

This question is so open and so ambiguous it doesn't make any sense.

There are no shortcuts. If you want to deal with systems with a serious chemistry behind, you need to know the chemistry well enough.

1. What is the result of mixing a strong acid and a weak acid?

When a strong acid and a weak acid are mixed, the resulting solution will have a lower pH compared to the individual acids. This is because the strong acid will completely dissociate into ions, while the weak acid will only partially dissociate, resulting in a higher concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution.

2. What is the difference in strength between a strong acid and a weak acid?

The strength of an acid is determined by its ability to dissociate into ions when dissolved in water. Strong acids, such as hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid, completely dissociate into ions in water, while weak acids, like acetic acid, only partially dissociate. This means that a strong acid has a higher concentration of hydrogen ions compared to a weak acid.

3. How does the concentration of the acids affect the resulting mixture?

The concentration of the acids will affect the resulting mixture in terms of its pH. A higher concentration of strong acid will result in a lower pH compared to a lower concentration of the same acid. Similarly, a higher concentration of weak acid will result in a higher pH compared to a lower concentration of the same acid.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when mixing strong and weak acids?

When mixing strong and weak acids, it is important to handle them with caution as both can be corrosive and can cause burns. It is recommended to wear gloves, safety glasses, and an apron when handling these acids. It is also important to mix them in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes.

5. Can the resulting mixture of a strong acid and weak acid be neutralized?

Yes, the resulting mixture of a strong acid and weak acid can be neutralized by adding a base, such as sodium hydroxide, to the solution. The base will react with the excess hydrogen ions in the solution, resulting in a less acidic solution. However, the resulting solution may still be slightly acidic due to the presence of the weak acid.