Mixing Substances: Engineering Solutions for Dilution Challenges by Lee

• Thread starter LeeBowers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing
In summary, Lee is a design and electrical engineer who has developed a rotational shaking machine for mixing substances. He is looking for a scientific approach to determining the ideal agitation method and duration for different substances. He mentions the possibility of using software applications for this purpose, but notes that mechanical engineers would be the most knowledgeable in this area. He recommends consulting resources such as Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook and Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering for further information on mixing techniques. Lee also raises the point that shake mixing may only be practical for small amounts of substances.
LeeBowers
TL;DR Summary
Mixing substances
Hello, my name is Lee. I am a design and electrical engineer and I am involved in a project where I have developed a piece of equipment that mixes substances, primarily two liquids.
My equipment is a rotational shaking machine. The liquids are put into a vessel which is then shook over a number of cycles.

My question is, is there a 'science' as to how long and in what manner liquids need to be agitated before they dilute into each other? I appreciate each substance has its own properties but am unaware of how to approach this in a theoretical manner.

My initial thought was there may be software applications where you could enter:
1. substances information - volume, properties, etc.
2. vessel information
3. ambient conditions
4. agitation manner (i have seen many types of agitation from rotational shake, centrifugal ,orbital, etc.
and then the application can give you a method.

Many thanks in advance for anyone responding to my question
With best regards,
Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes symbolipoint
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I have not any answer. The people who might best respond would be mechanical engineers. What you described should be relevant to mixing paints, which would be two or more liquids in either cans or drums. A machine holds these closed containers and does whatever shake pattern it is designed to make. Another not exactly the same kind of example is the mixing of powders or small-grained solids done in drums or cans.

There is a lot of science for mixing liquids, solids, solids with liquids, liquids with gases, viscous liquids, viscous liquids with ..., etc. Two good sources are:

Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook. It's currently in the 9th Edition, however my 5th Edition has excellent information on mixing. Highly recommended that you get a copy for your library.

Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering. Currently in the 7th Edition, however my 3rd Edition also has excellent information on mixing. Also highly recommended. If you get only one book, get the Chemical Engineers' Handbook first.

I suspect that you will find that shake mixing is practical only for small amounts, such as cans of paint. But look into it, and let us know what you find.

Likes ChemAir, Asymptotic and symbolipoint

1. What is the main purpose of "Mixing Substances: Engineering Solutions for Dilution Challenges by Lee"?

The main purpose of this book is to provide engineers with practical solutions for dilution challenges in mixing substances. It covers various engineering techniques and strategies for achieving desired levels of dilution in different industries.

2. Who is the author of "Mixing Substances: Engineering Solutions for Dilution Challenges by Lee"?

The author of this book is Lee, who is a renowned scientist and engineer with years of experience in the field of mixing substances and dilution challenges.

3. What industries can benefit from the information in "Mixing Substances: Engineering Solutions for Dilution Challenges by Lee"?

This book is beneficial for a wide range of industries such as chemical, pharmaceutical, food and beverage, water treatment, and many more. Any industry that deals with mixing substances and faces dilution challenges can benefit from the information in this book.

4. What are some common dilution challenges that engineers face in mixing substances?

Some common dilution challenges that engineers face include achieving uniform mixing, controlling the concentration of substances, reducing waste and costs, and ensuring safety and environmental compliance.

5. How can engineers use the information in "Mixing Substances: Engineering Solutions for Dilution Challenges by Lee" in their work?

Engineers can use the information in this book to understand the principles and techniques of dilution in mixing substances and apply them in their work to overcome challenges and achieve desired results. The book also includes case studies and examples that can help engineers in real-world scenarios.