Mobile video conversion [resolution is not preserved]

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of viewing a video clip on a Sony Ericsson w810i phone with a 16:9 aspect ratio. The speaker mentions two ways of viewing the video, either vertically or horizontally, with the latter providing 55.3% more view area. They also mention using Virtual Dub to resize the video and saving it in .avi format. However, the problem arises when using the Xilisoft 3GP converter, as it skews the video and does not respect the aspect ratio. The speaker seeks suggestions for other software that can properly handle aspect ratios and allow them to control the resolution. One option mentioned is a mobile video converter.
rohanprabhu
I have a Sony Ericsson w810i phone. The screen dimensions are 220x176 px. So.. there are two ways i can view a video clip with 16:9 aspect ratio:

either vertically:
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/7227/cellvideo2og3.jpg
videoRes: 176x99

or horizontally:
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/4123/cellvideo1xj1.jpg
videoRes: 220x123

When I view it horizontally.. i get 55.3% more viewarea as compared to vertical viewing.

So.. i used Virtual Dub and resized the video to 220x123 and saved it in .avi [codec: DivX 6].

Now.. the problem is that I use the Xilisoft 3GP converter [X3C] to convert the clips into 3gp. And X3C is such an idiot piece of software.. it converts my video to something like this:

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8761/cellvideo3tp8.jpg

yup.. it completely skews my video with no respect to aspect ratio. It scales it both horizontally and vertically.. and there is no way to control the resolution in X3C.
so.. i need suggestions frm ur side as to how i can overcome this problem. Is there any other software that actually respects aspect ratios and/or allows me to control the res?

thanks,
rohan

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

I understand the importance of preserving the resolution and aspect ratio of videos for optimal viewing. It seems that the issue you are facing is due to the limitations of the Xilisoft 3GP converter software. I would suggest looking into alternative software that allows for more control over the conversion process, such as HandBrake or Any Video Converter. Additionally, you may want to consider using a different file format, such as MP4, which is more commonly used for mobile devices and may have better compatibility with your phone. It is also important to note that converting videos can result in some loss of quality, so it may be helpful to experiment with different settings and resolutions to find the best balance between file size and video quality.

1. What is mobile video conversion?

Mobile video conversion is the process of converting a video file into a format that is compatible with mobile devices. This allows the video to be played on smartphones, tablets, and other portable devices that may not support the original video file format.

2. Why is the resolution not preserved during mobile video conversion?

Due to the smaller screen size and limited processing power of mobile devices, the resolution of the video may need to be reduced in order to ensure smooth playback. This is done to optimize the video for the specific device and to minimize the file size.

3. Can the original resolution be maintained during mobile video conversion?

In some cases, it may be possible to preserve the original resolution during mobile video conversion, but this may result in a larger file size and potential playback issues on certain devices. It is important to find a balance between maintaining the resolution and ensuring smooth playback on mobile devices.

4. Are there any recommended settings for mobile video conversion?

The recommended settings for mobile video conversion may vary depending on the device and the specific video file being converted. It is best to research the recommended settings for the specific device and experiment with different settings to find the best balance between quality and file size.

5. What are the common file formats used for mobile video conversion?

The most common file formats used for mobile video conversion include MP4, 3GP, and WMV. These formats are widely supported by most mobile devices and offer a good balance between quality and file size. However, some devices may require different formats, so it is important to research the recommended formats for the specific device.

Back