Mod(prime) is a field mod(non-prime) is not

• Thread starter General_Sax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary: Fermat's little theorem, it can be shown that if n is prime, then Z/Zn is a field. This means that every nonzero element in Z/Zn has a multiplicative inverse. However, for non-prime values of n, it can be shown that there exist elements a and b in Z/Zn such that ab = 0 (mod n), and therefore these elements cannot have multiplicative inverses. This is due to the existence of a divisor d of n that is greater than 1 but less than n, leading to a contradiction. Therefore, Z/Zn is only a field when n is prime. In summary, Z/Zn is a field if and only if n is a prime number
General_Sax
Let n ≥ 2 be a natural number. Show that Z/Zn is a field if and only if n is a prime
number

Now, I can show that if n is prime then Z/Zn is a field

a = a
b = an-2

a*b = an-1 = 1 (mod n) --> Fermat's little theorem

However, I can't really seem to show that there is no multiplicative inverse for Z/Zn where n is not prime.

First question: a =/=b correct?

i know that there is the whole if gcd(a,n) = 1 then there is a multiplicative inverse, but I can't really see how to leverage this fact.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
i know that there is the whole if gcd(a,n) = 1 then there is a multiplicative inverse, but I can't really see how to leverage this fact.

Not only that, but I don't truly understand why this is.

for non-prime n,

what you want to do is find a,b ≠ 0 in Z/Zn such that:

ab = 0 (mod n).

these elements cannot be invertible.

suppose 1/a existed. then:

(1/a)(ab) = [(1/a)(a)]b = 1b = b ≠ 0 (mod n)

BUT...

(1/a)(ab) = (1/a)0 = 0 (mod n), a contradiction.

(1/b) can be shown not to exist in a similar fashion (multiply on the right).

since n is not prime, there is some 1 < d < n with d|n.

so n = dk, where 1 < d,k < n.

thus d,k ≠ 0 (mod n) but dk = n = 0 (mod n).

Thanks

I understand your struggle with this problem. The statement that Mod(prime) is a field while Mod(non-prime) is not is a well-known fact in mathematics. In order to prove this, we need to first understand the definition of a field.

A field is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, along with two operations, addition and multiplication, that follow specific rules. These rules include closure, associativity, commutativity, existence of identity elements, and existence of inverse elements.

Now, let's consider Z/Zn, the set of integers modulo n. This set consists of the remainders when dividing any integer by n. For example, in Z/Z6, we have the elements {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5}.

If n is a prime number, then Z/Zn is a field. This is because for any element a in Z/Zn, we can find its inverse element b such that a*b = 1 (mod n). This is due to the fact that in a prime field, every element has a multiplicative inverse. This can be seen in your example, where a = an-2 is the inverse of itself.

However, if n is not a prime number, then Z/Zn is not a field. This is because there exist elements in Z/Zn that do not have a multiplicative inverse. This is due to the fact that in a non-prime field, not every element has a multiplicative inverse. In other words, there exists an element a in Z/Zn such that gcd(a,n) ≠ 1, which means that there is no integer b that satisfies the equation a*b = 1 (mod n). This can be seen in your example, where n = 6 and a = 2. In this case, gcd(2,6) = 2, and there is no integer b that satisfies the equation 2*b = 1 (mod 6).

In conclusion, we can say that Z/Zn is a field if and only if n is a prime number. This is because only in a prime field, every element has a multiplicative inverse, which is a necessary condition for a field to exist. Therefore, the statement "Mod(prime) is a field while Mod(non-prime) is not" is true and can be proven using the definition of a field

1. What is a field?

A field is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and two operations (usually addition and multiplication) that satisfy certain properties, such as closure, associativity, and distributivity. Examples of fields include the real numbers, rational numbers, and complex numbers.

2. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a natural number that is divisible only by 1 and itself. In other words, it has no positive integer divisors other than 1 and itself. Examples of prime numbers include 2, 3, 5, 7, and 11.

3. Why is mod(prime) a field?

Mod(prime) is a field because it satisfies all the properties of a field. In particular, it is closed under addition and multiplication, has additive and multiplicative inverses for every element, and is commutative and associative under both operations. Additionally, every non-zero element has a unique multiplicative inverse, making it a field.

4. Why is mod(non-prime) not a field?

Mod(non-prime) is not a field because it does not satisfy all the properties of a field. It may be closed under addition and multiplication, but it does not have additive and multiplicative inverses for every element. This means that not every non-zero element has a unique multiplicative inverse, making it not a field.

5. What are some applications of fields and mod(prime) in science?

Fields and mod(prime) have many applications in science, particularly in areas such as cryptography, coding theory, and number theory. For example, prime fields are used in cryptography to create secure encryption algorithms, while mod(prime) is used in coding theory to detect and correct errors in data transmission. In number theory, fields and mod(prime) are used to study the properties of prime numbers and their relationships with other numbers.