1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Model that demonstrates conservation of mechanical energy

1. Feb 9, 2006 #1
    My physics class is currently invovled with a project regarding conservation of mechanical energy.

I will need to choose or create a model that will demonstrate conservation of mechanical energy, then analyze the model and explain it.

Does anyone know of any model that can be made easily and can demonstrate conservation of mechanical energy in a simple way, such as the balance ball, or pendulum.
    ( The balance ball and pendulum are restricted models of this project)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2006 #2
    How about a spring and a ball?

4. Feb 10, 2006 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Or maybe those cool toys with several metal balls suspended on V-strings all lined up and touching, where you pull one out at one end and let go, and when it hits it knocks out the ball on the other end out to the same max height? Those are fun, and may be different enough from a standard 1-ball pendulum that your instructor will allow it.

5. Feb 10, 2006 #4
    spring and ball, please go in abit further on that. the balls on v string is also known as the balance ball, so i cant use that

6. Feb 10, 2006 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

By spring and ball, I think Pseudo means a mass on the end of a spring. If you can't use the balance ball, how about a roller coaster? Once you get towed to the top of the first big hill, it's all PE<-->KE from there on down. Maybe even add in some of the upside-down corkscrew sections....

7. Feb 10, 2006 #6
    maybe something like that, not too complicated or i wont be able to make it out of normal house stuff

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?