1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of mechanical energy ?

1. Apr 2, 2008 #1
    conservation of mechanical energy ???

i found this tricky since i would usually use something like v^2=u^2+2as but i dont have enough variables this time so I don’t even know which direction to go

a stone is thrown upwards with u=20m/s. use conservation of mechanical energy to find out how huigh it will go?

Oh I was told in a similar question earlier to take g as -10m/s^2 im not sure if I need this for this question

Thanks very much to anyone who take the time to help me

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2008 #2
    You don't need to(and are told NOT to, and to instead use conservation of energy) use those equations, however you still could as you were given initial velocity, and you know acceleration is g, like always, you would probably have to make a system of equations

However what you're sposed to do is say "oh I know its initial kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2, and I know at its highest point it will have no KE and nothing but gravitational potential energy, and I know that its total energy at any given point will need to equal its initial energy"

4. Apr 2, 2008 #3
    thank you

i can see how stupid ive been, i should have a problem now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?