Model Universe: Shortest Path to Gravity Corridors

In summary, the conversation explores the idea of using wormhole propagation and gravity corridors to simulate the effects of gravity. The speaker shares their experience of programming their computer to create visual representations of these concepts. They also mention their interest in quantum cosmology and provide links to papers on the topic. Ultimately, they question the connection between their computer simulations and the current research in quantum cosmology.
Dennis Sugden
Several years ago, after reading about Wheeler's quantum foam, I wondered what would happen if you used wormhole propogation and a quality in some wormhole positions to prefer taking the shortest distance to the next position (mass) to try to reproduce effects similar to gravity. I had also just read about gravity "corridors" used by NASA and I wanted to see what they were like.

I programed my computer to start at three (mass) positions; one a factor of 100, one of 10, and one of 1. [this is all 2D] As I wasn't concerned to exactly match gravity an arbitrary length was established as the unconstrained wormhole length. I don't remember exactly what it was. I remember I chose it to make it easier to shade colors on my screen display. Then at each mass position and at each point on the screen going in circles around the (masses) a value of that wormhole length was calculated. eg at point (mass 1) length = Arbitrary/2; point (mass 1-1) = Arbitrary/2; point (mass1-2) = Arbitrary /4; etc.

When all points had been calculated each mass randomly moved to the new calculated level but preferred a new position that involved the shortest length.

On the computer I had then this ran forever but as I was shading screen colors to show short to long points I could watch it slowly change.

Point is I got curvatures that bent hypothetical light rays and even frame dragging. And I got to look at my gravity corridors.

Marcus, does this in any way connect to the models some of your posts refer to?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dennis Sugden said:
Marcus, does this in any way connect to the models some of your posts refer to?

Dennis, what you programmed sounds like a visually intriguing process to watch. I can't tell how or if it relates to the computerized universe models I've been reading about lately. That would be something for you to decide.

The models I am most interested in are of two kinds. one type is what they run at Utrecht Institute of Theoretical Physics---a lead author is named Renate Loll

the other is a kind of model they run at Penn State, particularly Ashtekar's group and also Bojowald.

The field is a relatively new one called Quantum Cosmology and it is sort of on the borderline between QG (in the Beyond forum) and Cosmology (in the Cosmology forum).
The current research can, i guess, be discussed in either place.

Have a look at the literature just to see what I'm talking about. Don't get bogged down in heavy details, just take a glance.

Here are Loll's papers
http://arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/au:+Loll/0/1/0/all/0/1
The one titled "Quantum Gravity on Your Desktop" describes some of the computer simulations of quantum universes

Here are recent (keyword=quantum cosmology) papers in the Stanford database, sorted by number of citations. the most highly cited papers appear first
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/spires/find/hep/www?rawcmd=k+quantum+cosmology+and+date+%3E+2005&FORMAT=WWW&SEQUENCE=citecount%28d%29

If this kind of overview doesn't work for you, ask for links to some sample papers. But instead of delving into entire papers you can tell a little bit of what is going on by just looking at the titles and reading the abstracts (brief summaries).

It seems as if you made something beautiful on the computer that was inspired by Wheeler's conception of quantum foam, but it might be difficult to find a connection at the nutsbolts level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for sharing your interesting experiment with wormholes and gravity corridors. While your approach may have produced some visually intriguing results, it is important to note that it is not a scientifically accepted or proven method for explaining the effects of gravity. The concept of wormholes is still purely theoretical and has not been observed or confirmed in any way. Additionally, the use of arbitrary values and random movements does not accurately reflect the complex and precise workings of gravity in our universe.

In terms of connecting to other models, there may be some similarities in the concept of using wormholes to explain gravity. However, it is important to approach such models with caution and continue to rely on established scientific principles and evidence in our understanding of gravity. As scientists, it is important to continuously question and explore new ideas, but also to critically evaluate them and not jump to conclusions based on limited evidence.

Related to Model Universe: Shortest Path to Gravity Corridors

1. What is the "Model Universe: Shortest Path to Gravity Corridors"?

The "Model Universe: Shortest Path to Gravity Corridors" is a theoretical model that aims to explain the phenomenon of gravity by proposing the existence of invisible "corridors" that act as the shortest paths between massive objects in the universe.

2. How does this model differ from the current understanding of gravity?

This model differs from the current understanding of gravity, which is based on the theory of general relativity, by proposing a different mechanism for the force of gravity. Instead of the curvature of space-time, this model suggests that gravity is a result of the interaction between objects through these "gravity corridors".

3. What evidence supports this model?

Currently, there is no empirical evidence to support this model. It is still in the theoretical stage and requires further research and experimentation to be validated.

4. How does this model explain the behavior of gravity in the universe?

This model suggests that gravity is not a force that acts between objects at a distance, but rather a result of the objects interacting through these "gravity corridors". The shortest path between two massive objects is through these corridors, resulting in the force of attraction between them.

5. Can this model be tested or proven?

As of now, there is no way to test or prove this model. It is a theoretical concept that requires further development and experimentation to determine its validity.