Modeling the Earth-Sun system in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, a student is struggling with a homework problem involving the replacement of the coloumb potential with a gravitational potential in the hydrogen atom. They have calculated the Bohr radius and the energy of state n, but are having difficulty computing the quantum numbers and energy released when the Earth jumps to the next quantum number. They also question the validity of using quantum mechanics on such large scales and look for a solution to their calculator choking on the calculations. An expert suggests using a Taylor expansion to solve the problem.
eep
Hi,
We recently solved the hydrogen atom and one of our homework problems asks us to replace the coloumb potential with a gravitational potential. I have the potential as being

[tex]
V(r) = -\frac{GMm}{r}
[/tex]

Where M is the mass of the sun, m the mass of the earth. I have calculated the Bohr radius to be:

[tex]
a_g = \frac{\hbar^2}{GMm^2}
[/tex]

However my calculator chokes on this value. I managed to get an approximation for it by first multiplying and dividing all decimal values, then doing the needed multiplication, addition and subtraction for the powers of 10. Needless to say I get something ridiculously small.

I have an expression for the energy of state n as

[tex]
E_n = \frac{-G^2M^2m^3}{2n^2\hbar^2}
[/tex]

I am then supposed to find out what Earth's quantum number is by assuming a classical, circular orbit, so I do:

[tex]
E_n = \frac{-GMm}{2r}
[/tex]

where r is the distance from the Earth to the sun. Substitute in the above expression and calculate n. This gives me that

[tex]
n_e = \sqrt{\frac{r}{a_g}}
[/tex]

Which is some insanely large number (~[itex]2.5 * 10^{71}[/itex]). I'm then supposed to calculate how much energy would be released if the Earth were to jump down to the next quantum number, and what the wavelength of the photon (or graviton, as the book suggests) would be in light years. I'm having some serious problems computing this quality as my TI-83 chokes, and when I make some approximations I get something like [itex]\deltaE = 7.68 * 10^-6[/itex] which seems much much too small.

First, are my calculations correct? Second, how can I compute these numbers?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Err, do you know at what distance scale QM becomes relevant ?

What's the criterium we use to decide at what distance scale quantummechanical effects will arise ?

Think about that for a while, please, it'll save you a lot of trouble.

marlon

eep said:
my TI-83 chokes

Try the Microsoft calculator on your computer. It can handle very large numbers.

marlon said:
Err, do you know at what distance scale QM becomes relevant ?

Something tells me that this exercise is supposed to give him an idea of the answer to that question.

eep said:
Hi,
We recently solved the hydrogen atom and one of our homework problems asks us to replace the coloumb potential with a gravitational potential. I have the potential as being

[tex]
V(r) = -\frac{GMm}{r}
[/tex]

Where M is the mass of the sun, m the mass of the earth. I have calculated the Bohr radius to be:

[tex]
a_g = \frac{\hbar^2}{GMm^2}
[/tex]

However my calculator chokes on this value. I managed to get an approximation for it by first multiplying and dividing all decimal values, then doing the needed multiplication, addition and subtraction for the powers of 10. Needless to say I get something ridiculously small.

I have an expression for the energy of state n as

[tex]
E_n = \frac{-G^2M^2m^3}{2n^2\hbar^2}
[/tex]

I am then supposed to find out what Earth's quantum number is by assuming a classical, circular orbit, so I do:

[tex]
E_n = \frac{-GMm}{2r}
[/tex]

where r is the distance from the Earth to the sun. Substitute in the above expression and calculate n. This gives me that

[tex]
n_e = \sqrt{\frac{r}{a_g}}
[/tex]

Which is some insanely large number (~[itex]2.5 * 10^{71}[/itex]). I'm then supposed to calculate how much energy would be released if the Earth were to jump down to the next quantum number, and what the wavelength of the photon (or graviton, as the book suggests) would be in light years. I'm having some serious problems computing this quality as my TI-83 chokes, and when I make some approximations I get something like [itex]\deltaE = 7.68 * 10^-6[/itex] which seems much much too small.

First, are my calculations correct? Second, how can I compute these numbers?

I agree with all your expressions.
And the fact that you get "ridiculously" large numbers is to be expected, it is part of the goal of the exercise, to make you realize that it would be ridiculous to use quantum mechanics on the scale of planets or even moons, space shuttles, etc.

For the problem with the choking part, I haev a suggestion. You iwl have to calculate [itex] -{C \over n^2} + {C \over (n-1)^2 } [/itex] where C is the bunch of constants appearing in the energy equation. The problem is due to the n being so large. So what you should do is to use a Taylor expansion.

Write

[tex] {1 \over n^2-2n+1} \approx {1 \over n^2 -2n} = {1 \over n^2(1-2/n)} = {1\over n^2} {1 \over (1-2/n)} \approx {1\over n^2} (1+ {2 \over n}) = {1\over n^2} + {2 \over n^3} [/tex]

Now, when you take a difference of energy, the 1/n^2 pieces will cancel out leaving only 2C/n^3 and that's your difference of energy.

Hope this helps

Patrick

1. How does quantum mechanics explain the interactions between the Earth and the Sun?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at a very small scale. It explains the interactions between the Earth and the Sun through the concept of quantum fields, which are constantly exchanging particles called virtual photons. These virtual photons carry the electromagnetic force, which is responsible for the gravitational attraction between the two bodies.

2. Can quantum mechanics accurately model the Earth-Sun system?

Quantum mechanics has been successfully used to model many physical systems, including the Earth-Sun system. However, due to the complexity of the system and the large number of particles involved, it is not practical to use quantum mechanics for precise predictions. Classical mechanics, which is based on Newton's laws of motion, is still the most accurate and efficient method for modeling the Earth-Sun system.

3. How does quantum mechanics explain the motion of the Earth around the Sun?

According to quantum mechanics, particles do not have a definite position or velocity, but rather exist in a state of probability. This means that the Earth's motion around the Sun is constantly changing and can only be described in terms of probabilities. However, at the macroscopic level, these probabilities average out to give us the classical picture of the Earth orbiting the Sun in a predictable path.

4. What role does quantum mechanics play in understanding the Earth's climate?

Quantum mechanics is not directly applicable to understanding the Earth's climate as it is a macroscopic phenomenon. However, quantum mechanics does play a role in understanding the behavior of individual particles in the atmosphere, such as the absorption and emission of radiation. This information is then used in climate models to make predictions about the Earth's climate.

5. Are there any current research efforts in using quantum mechanics to model the Earth-Sun system?

There are ongoing research efforts to use quantum mechanics to improve our understanding of various aspects of the Earth-Sun system, such as the solar wind and the Earth's magnetic field. However, the complex and dynamic nature of the system makes it challenging to apply quantum mechanics in a practical way. Therefore, most research in this area focuses on using a combination of classical and quantum mechanics to gain a more complete understanding of the system.