Modeling with Differential Equations

In summary, the coffee cools most quickly when it is placed in the room. Newton's Law of Cooling states that the rate of cooling of an object is proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings, provided that this difference is not too large.
ineedhelpnow
Which of the following FUNCTIONS are SOLUTIONS (meaning PLURAL) of the differential equation $y''+y=sin(x)$?
a. $y=sin(x)$
b. $y=cos(x)$
c. $y=\frac{1}{2}xsin(x)$
d. $y=\frac{-1}{2}xcos(x)$#2
Suppose you have just poured a cup of freshly brewed coffee with temperature $95^oC$ in a room where the temperature is $20^oC$.

a. When do you think the coffee cools most quickly? What happens to the rate of cooling as time goes by? Explain.

b. Newton's Law of Cooling states that the rate of cooling of an object is proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings, provided that this difference is not too large. Write a differential equation that expresses Newton's Law of Cooling for this particular situation. What is the initial condition? In view of answer to part (a), do you think this differential equation is an appropriate model for cooking?

Please Please help me. I have a test tomorrow and I really need to understand this stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
ineedhelpnow said:
Which of the following FUNCTIONS are SOLUTIONS (meaning PLURAL) of the differential equation $y''+y=sin(x)$?
a. $y=sin(x)$
b. $y=cos(x)$
c. $y=\frac{1}{2}xsin(x)$
d. $y=\frac{-1}{2}xcos(x)$#2
Suppose you have just poured a cup of freshly brewed coffee with temperature $95^oC$ in a room where the temperature is $20^oC$.

a. When do you think the coffee cools most quickly? What happens to the rate of cooling as time goes by? Explain.

b. Newton's Law of Cooling states that the rate of cooling of an object is proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings, provided that this difference is not too large. Write a differential equation that expresses Newton's Law of Cooling for this particular situation. What is the initial condition? In view of answer to part (a), do you think this differential equation is an appropriate model for cooking?

Please Please help me. I have a test tomorrow and I really need to understand this stuff.

A simple inspection shows that a [particular] solution of the DE $\displaystyle y^{\ ''} + y = \sin x$ is $\displaystyle y= - \frac {x}{2}\ \cos x$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

A nickle for your thoughts on these problems.

i want to be able to use my calculator do these but every time i put it into my calculator i get a different answer.

ineedhelpnow said:
i want to be able to use my calculator do these but every time i put it into my calculator i get a different answer.

What do you get with your calculator?

$y=c1*cos(x)+c2*sin(x)-\frac{xcos(x)}{2}$

ineedhelpnow said:
$y=c1*cos(x)+c2*sin(x)-\frac{xcos(x)}{2}$

and in the case where $c_1=c_2=0$?

idk. i guess that would make sense. kinda.

For the first problem, you could try taking each given function, compute its second derivative, and then substitute the function and its second derivative into the given ODE to see it an identity results. :D

what about the second question?

Newton's Law of Cooling says the time rate of change of the temperature of the object is proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its environment, or the ambient temperature.

So, the change will be greatest when the difference is greatest, right? When is this?

...wheeeen it's placed in the room? (Tmi)

ineedhelpnow said:

Yes, when $t=0$, because thereafter the object's temperature moves towards the ambient temperature, and so the difference, and hence the rate of change, will thereafter decrease. :D

ineedhelpnow said:

That was easy, wasn't it? ;)
How about the rest of the problem?
Any thoughts?

no laughing or i WILL (Wait) kick you but here's what I am thinking. (Nerd)

$\frac{dT}{dt}=k(T-T_{monkey})$

$T'(t)=-k(T-20)$ and $T(0)=95$

$\frac{dT}{T-20}=-kdt$

$\ln\left({T-20}\right)=-kt+C$

$\ln\left({95-20}\right)=-k(0)+C$

$C=\ln\left({75}\right)$

$\ln\left({T-20}\right)=-kt+ \ln\left({75}\right)$

$\ln\left({\frac{T-20}{75}}\right)=-kt$

$\frac{T-20}{75}=e^{-kt}$

$T=20+75e^{-kt}$

did it based of another question i did yesterday but i don't know if its right...at all.

Last edited:
It's right?! (Dance)

ineedhelpnow said:
no laughing or i WILL (Wait) kick you but here's what I am thinking. (Nerd)

$\frac{dT}{dt}=k(T-T_{monkey})$

$T'(t)=-k(T-20)$ and $T(0)=95$

$\frac{dT}{T-20}=-kdt$

$\ln\left({T-20}\right)=-kt+C$

$\ln\left({95-20}\right)=-k(0)+C$

$C=\ln\left({75}\right)$

$\ln\left({T-20}\right)=-kt+ \ln\left({75}\right)$

$\ln\left({\frac{T-20}{75}}\right)=-kt$

$\frac{T-20}{75}=e^{-kt}$

$T=20+75e^{-kt}$

did it based of another question i did yesterday but i don't know if its right...at all.

I like it. I think it is all correct!
(Although I would write $\frac{dT}{dt}=-k(T-T_{monkey})$ to be consistent.)

Btw, what would be the temperature of the bunny? (Wondering)
(Need to be complete!)

~1.5 degrees F. Because the monkey will DESTROY the bunny, therefore causing the bunny's temperature to drop to approx 1.5 F. don't take me wrong. I love bunnies but we all know the monkey is going to win.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 2780 or View attachment 2781

Newton's Law of Cooling states that the rate of change of the temperature of the bunny is proportional to the difference between its own temperature and hole in which the monkey is putting it in (due to loss of battle versus monkey).

Attachments

• bunny.jpg
    bunny.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 45
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 43

1. What is the purpose of modeling with differential equations?

Modeling with differential equations is used to describe and predict the behavior or change of a system over time. These equations can be used in various fields of science, engineering, and economics to understand and analyze complex systems.

2. What are the types of differential equations used in modeling?

The most commonly used types of differential equations in modeling are ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs are used for modeling systems with one independent variable, while PDEs are used for systems with multiple independent variables.

3. How do you solve a differential equation for modeling?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. For ODEs, methods such as separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors can be used. For PDEs, methods like separation of variables, Fourier series, and Laplace transform can be used.

4. What are some real-life applications of modeling with differential equations?

Modeling with differential equations has various applications in everyday life, such as predicting population growth, analyzing weather patterns, understanding chemical reactions, and predicting stock market trends. It is also used in fields like medicine, engineering, and economics.

5. What are the limitations of modeling with differential equations?

While differential equations can accurately model many systems, they have some limitations. They assume that the system is continuous and smooth, and they may not account for random or chaotic events. Additionally, the accuracy of the model depends on the accuracy of the initial conditions and parameters used.