Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Models of accretion disc emissions contradicted by experiment

1. Aug 30, 2017 #1
    Ref: http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=51416
    I would be very interested to see comments from knowledgeable people about this.

My impression is that this is one more example of a need to remain at least somewhat skeptical about theoretical models that have not yet been validated by laboratory or observational data. Regarding the black hole models, apparently laboratory efforts have been in the works for some time.

With respect to those theoretical models for which a plausible method has not yet been suggested for how such data might possibly be gathered, perhaps a deeper skepticism might be warranted. I might very well be mistaken about this, but I have come to believe that there are several variations of string theory that are in this category.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2017 #2

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not familiar with the physics of accretion discs, so have no comment on the substance of this finding. However, a correct title would be "Models of accretion disc emissions contradicted by experiment".

4. Aug 30, 2017 #3
    Hi Paul:

I should have thought about adjusting the title more carefully. I gather it is too late to change it now.

Regards,
    Buzz

5. Aug 30, 2017 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You can always ask that the title be changed. Just report your own post, and in the reason for the report say what you want it changed to.
    (This is a public service announcement)

6. Aug 30, 2017 #5

berkeman

(thread title changed as Buzz requested in his Report) :smile:

7. Aug 30, 2017 #6

fresh_42

... on a kind hint of @PAllen :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted