Models of accretion disc emissions contradicted by experiment

In summary, a recent conversation on the need for skepticism towards theoretical models that lack validation and methods for data gathering has sparked interest and discussion among knowledgeable individuals. While laboratory efforts are being made to validate black hole models, some variations of string theory may still require further scrutiny. The findings on accretion disc emissions contradicting theoretical models have been brought into question, with suggestions to adjust the title for accuracy.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
Ref: http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=51416
I would be very interested to see comments from knowledgeable people about this.

My impression is that this is one more example of a need to remain at least somewhat skeptical about theoretical models that have not yet been validated by laboratory or observational data. Regarding the black hole models, apparently laboratory efforts have been in the works for some time.

With respect to those theoretical models for which a plausible method has not yet been suggested for how such data might possibly be gathered, perhaps a deeper skepticism might be warranted. I might very well be mistaken about this, but I have come to believe that there are several variations of string theory that are in this category.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the physics of accretion discs, so have no comment on the substance of this finding. However, a correct title would be "Models of accretion disc emissions contradicted by experiment".

Likes Buzz Bloom
Hi Paul:

I should have thought about adjusting the title more carefully. I gather it is too late to change it now.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
I should have thought about adjusting the title more carefully. I gather it is too late to change it now.
You can always ask that the title be changed. Just report your own post, and in the reason for the report say what you want it changed to.
(This is a public service announcement)

Likes davenn and Buzz Bloom
(thread title changed as Buzz requested in his Report) :smile:

berkeman said:
(thread title changed as Buzz requested in his Report) :smile:
... on a kind hint of @PAllen :smile:

1. What are accretion discs and how do they emit light?

Accretion discs are structures of gas and dust that form around a central object, such as a black hole or a young star. As matter falls towards the central object, it heats up and emits light, which can be observed by telescopes.

2. What are some common models for understanding accretion disc emissions?

Some common models include the thin disc model, which assumes that the disc is flat and emits light uniformly, and the advection-dominated accretion flow model, which takes into account the effects of gas pressure and magnetic fields.

3. How do experiments contradict these models?

Experiments have shown that the observed emissions from accretion discs deviate from the predictions of these models. For example, the observed spectral energy distribution is often flatter than what is expected from the thin disc model.

4. What are some proposed explanations for these contradictions?

Some proposed explanations include the presence of additional cooling mechanisms, such as winds or outflows from the disc, or the influence of magnetic fields on the emission process.

5. How do scientists continue to study and refine our understanding of accretion disc emissions?

Scientists use a variety of observational and theoretical tools, such as telescopes and computer simulations, to gather data and test different models. Ongoing research and collaboration within the scientific community helps to refine our understanding of these complex systems.