Moderation Warning: What Does "PC" Mean?

• Thread starter Buzz Bloom
  • Start date
In summary: I think it is more about being sensitive to other people's sensibilities. I don't know about the US.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I received the following Moderation Warning message:
"Funny answe but not PC."
What does "PC" mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Buzz Bloom said:
What does "PC" mean?
pc = political correctness, short for: we do not want to use sexual expressions.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Buzz Bloom said:
What does "PC" mean?
What you say? Pm me and I can advise. Give you pointers.
EDIT. As in what is pc

Last edited:
People use "political correctness" without irony? I thought PC was like witchcraft - no one actually has it, it is just something people accuse each other of.

Who is in charge of PC? I've never heard anyone say "I support political correctness, and here is why..."

Algr said:
People use "political correctness" without irony? I thought PC was like witchcraft - no one actually has it, it is just something people accuse each other of.

Who is in charge of PC? I've never heard anyone say "I support political correctness, and here is why..."
On this forum the moderators are in charge of it of course. You're right that it is often used in a derogatory way by people who oppose it, but as a member of the political persuasion that would tend to do oppose over-use of it, I can say that doesn't necessarily prevent invoking it. Though perhaps a better/non politically charged word would simply be "inappropriate" (with a further/more specific description of why, if not obvious).

Likes Bystander
Buzz Bloom said:
What does "PC" mean?
pinball1970 said:
What you say? Pm me and I can advise.
russ_watters said:
Though perhaps a better/non politically charged word would simply be "inappropriate"
@Buzz Bloom -- I looked at the 0-point warning to see what happened. Let's just say that some topics can be appropriate in the technical Biology/Medical forum when there is a serious scientific discussion, but in the Lounge the same post is seen as juvenile and inappropriate. There are many examples of this -- you can do a search in the Bio/Med forum for the keyword that you used to see what appropriate discussions of the topic look like.

Likes Buzz Bloom and russ_watters
I might have said "family-friendly" instead of "PC".

To me, "PC" has a political connotation. (in the US politico-social context :wink:)

jtbell said:
I might have said "family-friendly" instead of "PC".

To me, "PC" has a political connotation. (in the US politico-social context :wink:)
Yes, in the UK it is more to do equal rights/social than actual politics.

1. What does "PC" stand for?

"PC" stands for "politically correct."

2. Why do we use the term "PC"?

The term "PC" is used to describe language or behavior that is considered respectful and inclusive towards marginalized groups.

3. How does "PC" relate to moderation warnings?

Moderation warnings may be given when someone uses language that is not considered "PC" and may be offensive or harmful to others.

4. Is "PC" a new concept?

No, the concept of being "PC" has been around for many years, but it has gained more attention and discussion in recent times.

5. Can "PC" language change over time?

Yes, what is considered "PC" can change over time as language evolves and societal norms and values shift. It is important to stay informed and respectful of current language usage.