The reasons and danger of warnings

• Thread starter Spathi
  • Start date
In summary: We were trying to help you fix up your incorrect thread start, which we did so the thread is back open now.In summary, warnings lead to bans. If a member receives multiple warnings, they may be banned permanently.
Spathi
I have got 3 warnings. I tried to read the rules and at first didn't find the information about warnings - how many warnings do lead to bans. Where is this information written?
Then, last lime I got two warnings with this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-the-handicap-principle.1046924/#post-6816906

I was busy during 3 days, and because of that, I didn't reply the answers at time: I was asked to provide a scientific link. Did I receive the warnings because of this delay? But I just was unable to visit the forum during these 2 of 3 days. Or maybe there was some other reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't discuss individual warnings in public. You should have a private message regarding that thread (Link Removed), you can reply to that.

Warnings can come with warning points. From the forum rules:
A member may be issued either a notice or an infraction if deemed warranted by an admin or mentor (usually from guideline non-compliance). Infractions range from 1 to 10 "points", depending on the severity of the violation; notices carry no points. If a member accrues 8 or more infraction points, he or she will be automatically banned from Physics Forums for a period of 10 days. If a member receives any infraction after having returned from a temporary ban, that member will then be banned permanently. Obvious, incorrigible spamming or trouble-making will be met with a permanent ban.

@berkeman

Likes topsquark
I did not issue the warnings, so this is just a guess. The Wikipedia article you linked says

The handicap principle was proposed in 1975 by Israeli biologist Amotz Zahavi.[1][2][4] The generality of the phenomenon is the matter of some debate and disagreement, and Zahavi's views on the scope and importance of handicaps in biology have not been accepted by the mainstream.
The PF mission statement says this:
Our mission is to provide a place for people (whether students, professional scientists, or others interested in science) to learn and discuss science as it is currently generally understood and practiced by the professional scientific community.

Do you now see the problem? "not been accepted by the mainstream" versus "generally understood and practiced by the professional scientific community"

Likes topsquark, Vanadium 50 and berkeman
Spathi said:
I was busy during 3 days, and because of that, I didn't reply the answers at time: I was asked to provide a scientific link. Did I receive the warnings because of this delay?
No. We were trying to help you fix up your incorrect thread start, which we did so the thread is back open now. The warning was for the initial thread start; the 2-3 day delay just delayed our ability to re-open the thread. Please respond to my PM about the warning that I sent with the warning if you want to discuss this further. Thanks.

Likes topsquark and Wrichik Basu
Spathi said:
I was busy during 3 days, and because of that, I didn't reply the answers at time: I was asked to provide a scientific link. Did I receive the warnings because of this delay?
Two of your three warnings are old (six months ago and a year ago) so are completely unrelated.

Likes topsquark and Vanadium 50

1. What are some common reasons for warnings?

Some common reasons for warnings include potential danger, safety hazards, errors or malfunctions, and potential consequences of actions.

2. How do warnings help prevent danger?

Warnings serve as a form of communication to alert individuals of potential danger or hazards. By being aware of these warnings, individuals can take necessary precautions to prevent harm or accidents.

3. What are the dangers of ignoring warnings?

Ignoring warnings can lead to serious consequences, such as injury, property damage, or even death. Warnings are put in place to prevent harm, and ignoring them can result in dangerous situations.

4. Who is responsible for issuing warnings?

The responsibility of issuing warnings can vary depending on the situation. In some cases, it may be the responsibility of a company or organization to provide warnings for their products or services. In other cases, it may be the responsibility of government agencies or individuals to issue warnings for potential hazards.

5. How can we ensure that warnings are effective?

To ensure that warnings are effective, they should be clear, concise, and easy to understand. They should also be placed in visible areas and accompanied by appropriate symbols or graphics. Regular maintenance and updates of warnings are also important to ensure their effectiveness.