Modern Algebra: Permutations and Cycles

In summary: So if there are N cycles in a permutation, then N - 1 cycles must also be in the permutation's inverse.
Phoenixtears
Hi there,

I'm doing homework right now (no this isn't a homework question!) and have basic questions on permutations and cycles. The concept seemed so simple in class and still seems simple, but the notation using lowercase Greek letters is confusing me.

Do η and [itex]\theta[/itex] and most of the other Greek letters (we went from [itex]\alpha[/itex] to [itex]\gamma[/itex] in class) have specific permutations, depending on the number of cycles?

For example, one problem involves showing that [itex]\theta[/itex] and inverse[itex]\theta[/itex] have the same cycle structure, but I can't figure out how to represent theta because I don't know it's specific disjoint cycles or transposition.

Thank you so very much for the help!

Phoenix

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually what is meant is for you to show this for arbitrary permutations. You need to show that [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\theta^{-1}[/itex] have the same cycle structure no matter what permutation [itex]\theta[/itex] is. Some ideas for this may be gained by considering specific examples like
(1 2 3)
(1 2)(3 4)
etc.
and seeing how their inverses look, but you are asked to do it in general.

Ah, that makes perfect sense to me. Thank you so much!

The examples we did in class involved specific cycle structures for alpha to gamma, and I didn't quite understand how those came to be. What does the inverse of a permutation represent, then, if there is no specific cycle structure?

one of the theorems you should have learned (or maybe will be learning soon), is that every permutation can be written as a product of (disjoint) cycles.

so understanding cycles is a big part of understanding permutations, in general.

and for cycles, there is a nifty trick, which it pays to remember:

if θ = (a b c ... k)

then θ-1 = (k ... c b a) = (a k ... c b)

(just "mirror" the original cycle).

the reason that greek letters are usually used for permutations, is that roman letters are often used as symbols to stand for the (perhaps unknown or arbitrary) set elements that the permutations permute (boy...that's a mouthful).

so α(a) will be properly understood as the image under α of a, and not confused as, say, the composition of two permutations.

in other words, there's two layers going on:

the set layer <--> elements (roman letters)
the group layer <--> permutations (functions) (greek letters).

there is no "convention" for associating a particular cycle type with a particular greek letter, although τ (tau) is often used for transpositions (2-cycles), perhaps "T" for "transposition"?

another common letter used for an arbitrary permutation is π (pi) ("P" for permutation?), which confuses a lot of people, since they are used to pi being a number.

personally, i like σ (sigma) and μ (mu), as they are easy to distinguish from typical roman letters (α (alpha) and β (beta) can get mixed up with a and b, and γ (gamma) looks too much like y).

to prove θ and θ-1 have the same cycle-type (decomposition into disjoint cycles), it helps to know (which is another theorem/lemma that should be proved in your book/class) that disjoint cycles commute.

Hi Phoenix,

I'm glad you're taking the time to understand permutations and cycles in modern algebra. It can definitely be confusing at first, but with some practice, it will become second nature to you.

To answer your question, yes, η, θ, and other Greek letters have specific permutations depending on the number of cycles. In general, any permutation can be represented as a product of disjoint cycles, where each cycle represents a set of elements that are moved in a specific way. For example, a 3-cycle (1 2 3) represents a permutation that moves the element 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and 3 to 1.

In the case of θ and inverse θ, they will have the same cycle structure because they are inverse permutations of each other. This means that θ will have the same number of cycles as inverse θ, but the elements within each cycle will be reversed. For example, if θ has the cycle (1 2 3), then inverse θ will have the cycle (3 2 1).

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep practicing and you'll soon become comfortable with the notation and concepts. Good luck with your homework!

Best,

1. What is modern algebra and how does it relate to permutations and cycles?

Modern algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and structures of mathematical systems. It encompasses a wide range of topics, including abstract algebra, linear algebra, and group theory. Permutations and cycles are concepts within modern algebra that involve rearranging elements in a set or group. They are used to describe and analyze the behavior of mathematical operations and functions.

2. How are permutations and cycles represented in modern algebra?

Permutations are typically represented as matrices or arrays, with each row or column representing a different element in the set. Cycles, on the other hand, are represented as a sequence of elements that are being rearranged. For example, the cycle (1 2 3) represents the permutation of elements 1, 2, and 3.

3. What are the applications of permutations and cycles in modern algebra?

Permutations and cycles have numerous applications in modern algebra, particularly in the fields of cryptography, coding theory, and data analysis. They are also used in computer algorithms and software development, particularly in sorting and shuffling algorithms.

4. Can you give an example of how permutations and cycles are used to solve a problem in modern algebra?

One example is the use of cycles in finding the order of an element in a group. By representing the element as a cycle, we can easily determine its order by counting the number of elements in the cycle. This information is useful in solving problems related to group theory and abstract algebra.

5. What are some common misconceptions about permutations and cycles in modern algebra?

One common misconception is that permutations and cycles are only applicable to specific types of mathematical systems. In reality, they can be applied to a wide range of mathematical structures and problems. Another misconception is that permutations and cycles are only useful in theoretical mathematics and have no practical applications. As mentioned, they have numerous real-world applications in fields such as cryptography and data analysis.