Modern physics coverage Halliday/Resnick/Krane 4E extended

In summary, the conversation discussed the additional material in the extended version of Volume 2 and whether it was worth getting for the modern physics content. The recommendation was to instead get a separate introductory modern physics book, such as the ones listed in the conversation. The extended portion of the 3rd edition was described as "wimpy" and it was agreed that a separate book would be a better option. The book "Tipler" was mentioned as a possible choice, although it was noted to be dated. Other suggestions for modern physics books were also mentioned.
jioni
How much additional material is in the extended version of Volume 2--how many additional chapters on what topics? Is it worth getting an extended edition copy for the additional modern physics material if one already has the non-extended version (and Young and Freedman 11E)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the extended 3rd edition and the extended portion is pretty wimpy. I agree completely with jtbell: just get a modern physics book instead. My 3rd semester physics included some modern physics and we used an old edition of Tipler that I liked:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0879010886/?tag=pfamazon01-20
It is dated, but can be found for cheap. Other folks probably know what books are better than Tipler.

jason

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What topics does "Modern physics coverage Halliday/Resnick/Krane 4E extended" cover?

The book covers a wide range of topics in modern physics, including quantum mechanics, relativity, nuclear and particle physics, and condensed matter physics.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in physics?

Yes, the book is designed for students with little or no background in physics. It starts with the basics and gradually builds up to more advanced topics.

3. Does the book include practical applications of modern physics?

Yes, the book includes real-world examples and applications of modern physics concepts, making it relevant and engaging for students.

4. Are there any interactive features in "Modern physics coverage Halliday/Resnick/Krane 4E extended"?

Yes, the book has interactive elements such as practice problems, simulations, and online resources to enhance the learning experience for students.

5. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it better as a supplement to a course?

The book can be used for both self-study and as a supplement to a course. It provides clear explanations and examples, making it valuable for independent learning, but it can also serve as a comprehensive textbook for a course in modern physics.