Halliday Resnick Krane Chapter 2 Problem 30: Juggling Five Balls

In summary, the conversation discusses the time it takes for a ball to rise two meters and the difficulty of finding the answer when dealing with multiple balls being released at different times. The question of how many touch events occur per minute when handling multiple balls is also brought up. The solution of counting is suggested.
vibha_ganji
Homework Statement
A juggler juggles 5 balls with two hands. Each ball rises 2 meters above her hands. Approximately how many times per minute does each hand toss a ball?
Relevant Equations
y= y0 + vt + (at^2/2)
If each ball rises two meters, then the time is in the air is equal to around 1.28 seconds. After this, what am I supposed to do? I feel really stuck. If all of the balls are released at different times, how am I supposed to find the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
What will happen if you don't handle each of the other balls before you re-handle the first ball?

.. or start with, how many times a minute does a given ball touch a hand? How many touch events are there in total per minute?

Likes vibha_ganji
vibha_ganji said:
If all of the balls are released at different times, how am I supposed to find the answer?
By counting?

1. How many balls are being juggled in Chapter 2 Problem 30 of Halliday Resnick Krane?

The problem states that five balls are being juggled.

2. Is there a specific pattern or sequence for juggling the five balls in this problem?

Yes, the problem provides a specific sequence for juggling the five balls. The first ball is thrown from the right hand, then the second ball from the left hand, followed by the third ball from the right hand, and so on.

3. What is the purpose of this problem in the book?

The purpose of this problem is to demonstrate the concept of projectile motion and how it can be applied to juggling. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills and mathematical reasoning.

4. Are there any assumptions made in this problem?

Yes, the problem assumes that the balls are identical in size and weight, and that they are being juggled in a vacuum with no air resistance.

5. Is this problem relevant to real-world situations?

While juggling five balls may not be a common real-world situation, the principles of projectile motion and problem-solving can be applied to other scenarios, such as sports or physics experiments.