Modern uprated design for an Einstein refrigerator

In summary: I have no intention of appropriating anyones intellectual property. I am just proposing an idea that has not been explored before.It's not preposterous, but I don't think it would be very effective. The efficiency of the system would be reduced because the engine would only work at high speeds.
NintendoKD
I am interested in pursuing the modernized redesign of the eistein refrgeration system. It is a refrigeration system using anhydrous ammonia, liquid butane, and water. It is contained in a closed pressurized system, has no moving parts or compressor, and requires no maintenance. Sounds like a fancy, but it is certainly real, last I heard is that AB Electrolux of EU. owns the intellectual rights to prevent the competition from develpoing a competitive system. This could help reduce the amount of energy used to heat/ air-condition homes accros the world. If a more efficient system could be used, or possibly the design changed to accommodate large buildings then this is certainly a worthwhile idea to apply to pretty much anywhere. The idea is that as one end gets warmer the other end gets equally colder, in other words you use an end outside inside a solar oven in the summer, nd as it reaches super high temps the other half that is inside of the house gets very cold, it would therefore only require a small amount of va to run a fan across the cold end to air-condition the home. In the winter and on cold days the house would be able to stay a bit warmer than the outside ambient air temp, the efficiency of this could be increased if the home was underground.

Engineering news on Phys.org
NintendoKD said:
I am interested in pursuing the modernized redesign of the eistein refrgeration system. It is a refrigeration system using anhydrous ammonia, liquid butane, and water. It is contained in a closed pressurized system, has no moving parts or compressor, and requires no maintenance. Sounds like a fancy, but it is certainly real, last I heard is that AB Electrolux of EU. owns the intellectual rights to prevent the competition from develpoing a competitive system. This could help reduce the amount of energy used to heat/ air-condition homes accros the world. If a more efficient system could be used, or possibly the design changed to accommodate large buildings then this is certainly a worthwhile idea to apply to pretty much anywhere. The idea is that as one end gets warmer the other end gets equally colder, in other words you use an end outside inside a solar oven in the summer, nd as it reaches super high temps the other half that is inside of the house gets very cold, it would therefore only require a small amount of va to run a fan across the cold end to air-condition the home. In the winter and on cold days the house would be able to stay a bit warmer than the outside ambient air temp, the efficiency of this could be increased if the home was underground.

When does their patent expire?

Their original patent expired around 1950. But there may be some newer patents on variations of the idea ...

I think the important thing here is to understand that I don't want to steal anyones intellectual property here, just expound on a preexisting idea from a new perspective and make something good for everyone to enjoy.

I agree. There is no consequence in building one for personal use.

Has anyone out there besides the eggheads at oxford built one?

After I return from Afghanistan in June, and from my month long vacation after that, I will build one of these puppies for myself. the design is pretty straightforward but the correct pressures and volumes gets tricky with increased nternal volume. Plus there is the matter of getting permits to buy/use anhydrous ammonia. Anyone interesed is welcome to it, and I encourage it, this design if used properly will save the environment and will be effective as a climate control system in some applications. Oh, don't expect a speedy reply, internet time is limited here in country, but I promise to do my best.

Good work. I look forward to it.

Now this may sound weird but have you considered 'merging' the Stirling engine with this? I don't mean just tacking on the engine but integrating it into the initial stage to make the temperature change much faster?

Excuse me if this sounds preposterous.

1. What is an Einstein refrigerator?

An Einstein refrigerator, also known as an Einstein-Szilard refrigerator, is a type of refrigerator that does not require electricity to function. Instead, it uses a heat source to create a temperature difference, which then allows it to cool the inside of the refrigerator.

2. How does the modern uprated design for an Einstein refrigerator differ from the original design?

The modern uprated design for an Einstein refrigerator includes improvements in materials and insulation, as well as changes to the internal mechanisms. These improvements make the refrigerator more efficient and cost-effective.

3. What are the benefits of using an Einstein refrigerator?

One of the main benefits of using an Einstein refrigerator is its energy efficiency. Since it does not require electricity, it can significantly reduce energy consumption and costs. Additionally, it is also environmentally friendly as it does not use harmful refrigerants.

4. Are there any limitations to using an Einstein refrigerator?

One limitation of using an Einstein refrigerator is that it can only reach a maximum temperature difference of about 40 degrees Celsius, which may not be sufficient for certain cooling needs. It also requires a heat source, which can be a challenge in areas with limited resources.

5. How is the efficiency of an Einstein refrigerator measured?

The efficiency of an Einstein refrigerator is measured by its coefficient of performance (COP). This is the ratio of the cooling effect to the energy input. A higher COP indicates a more efficient refrigerator.