Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modified Bessel function with imaginary index is purely real?

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1
    I'm trying to decide if the modified Bessel function [tex]K_{i \beta}(x)[/tex] is purely real when [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] are purely real. I think that is ought to be. My reasoning is the following:

[tex]\left (K_{i \beta}(x)\right)^* = K_{-i \beta}(x) = \frac{\pi}{2} \frac{I_{i \beta}(x) - I_{-i \beta}(x)}{\sin(-i \beta\pi)} = \frac{\pi}{2} \frac{I_{i \beta}(x) - I_{-i \beta}(x)}{-\sin(i \beta\pi)} = \frac{\pi}{2} \frac{I_{-i \beta}(x) - I_{i \beta}(x)}{\sin(i \beta\pi)} = K_{i \beta}(x).[/tex]

I have used here the fact that sine is an odd function and the definition of the K function in terms of the I function. So it seems that the complex conjugate of K is K itself in this case.However, Mathematica is telling me that K is imaginary if [itex]x<0[/itex]. Have I made a mistake somewhere? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2013 #2
    I think I know what the problem is. The first equality is wrong, i.e., [itex]\left( K_{i \beta}(x) \right)^*[/itex] is not simply [itex]K_{-i\beta}(x)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook