Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modulated laser effect on plants

1. Nov 9, 2006 #1
    I'm interested in anything you have...links...sugestions...ideas about this field...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you be a bit more specific in your question? What wavelength or power? Otherwise, the answer could range from absolutely nothing, to stimulation of a particular set of photopigments, to burning a hole through it.

4. Nov 10, 2006 #3
    Well...I'm interested in the stimulation of growth of plants...especially if there are any studies about pulsed lasers at low frequency ( 5Hz-20KHz ), with wavelengths that stimulate photosynthesis ...the wavelength doesn't matter too much...I just want pulsed lasers that stimulate plants to grow :-p

5. Nov 10, 2006 #4

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The wavelength matters a lot - The absorption spectrum of chlorophyll
    would indicate that for max effect you would want the wavelength probably centered in somewhere in the "blues" circa

chlorophyll a : 425nm
    chlorophyll b : 460nm

unless you have a "sunlight balanced" laser light source

I don't know of any studies on the effect of pusled light, so I can't comment about that.

6. Nov 10, 2006 #5

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What mechanisim do you think would be affected by either coherency or pulsing?

Ordinary florescent lighing pulses at 60Hz, even though you don't see it.
    I don't know of any particular effects associated with that, given equivilent applied illumination.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?