Nuclear Fission of 1g of Uranium 235

In summary, the amount of energy released when 1g of uranium 235 undergoes fission is 49.2J/g. This is calculated by converting the change in mass of the reactants and products into kilograms and using the equation E=mc^2, then multiplying by the number of nuclei undergoing fission.
deezer

Homework Statement

What is the amount of energy released when 1g of uranium 235 undergoes fission? Fission of uranium is: uranium + n -> Ba + Kr +12n.

Homework Equations

E=Δmc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the mass of the reactants to be 236.05256u and the products to be 235.92392u.
Thus Δm=-0.12864u

There are 2.56207x10^21 nuclei in 1g.

Therefore the energy needed is -165.122 J/g using E=Δmc^2. Is this the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to convert the Δm into kg using the information that 1u = 1.66 x 10^-27kg
Then use E = mc^2 with this mass in kg (c = speed of light 3 x 10^8m/s)
This is the energy released by each fission of U235.
Multiply by the number of nuclei undergoing fission.

Sorry clicked submit. Look below

Last edited:
technician said:
You need to convert the Δm into kg using the information that 1u = 1.66 x 10^-27kg
Then use E = mc^2 with this mass in kg (c = speed of light 3 x 10^8m/s)
This is the energy released by each fission of U235.
Multiply by the number of nuclei undergoing fission.

I did convert u to kg. I got -165.122 J/g, which I think is really low for Uranium. Can you check my answer? Is my change in mass right?

Your Δm =0.12864u when converted to kg becomes 0.12864 x 1.66 x 10^-27 kg
=2.14 x 10^-28kg. This is the mass to use in E = mc^2
This is the energy released in 1 fission.
For 1g of material multiply by the number of atoms in 1g (I agree with the number you got)
When I did the calculation I got 49.2J

Last edited:

1. What is nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is a process in which the nucleus of an atom splits into two or more smaller nuclei, releasing a large amount of energy.

2. Why is uranium-235 used for nuclear fission?

Uranium-235 is used for nuclear fission because it is a fissile isotope, meaning it can easily split when struck by a neutron. It is also relatively abundant and has a high energy yield.

3. How much energy is released from the fission of 1g of uranium-235?

The fission of 1g of uranium-235 releases approximately 17.5 million kilowatt-hours of energy, which is equivalent to the energy produced by burning 3 million pounds of coal.

4. What is the process of nuclear fission in a nuclear reactor?

In a nuclear reactor, neutrons are fired at a uranium-235 atom, causing it to split and release energy. This energy is used to heat water and create steam, which then spins a turbine to generate electricity.

5. What are the potential dangers of nuclear fission?

While nuclear fission can produce a large amount of energy, it also produces radioactive waste that can be harmful to living organisms. There is also the risk of a nuclear meltdown or accident, which can have devastating consequences. Proper safety measures and protocols must be followed to mitigate these risks.