Molecular mass of He+MON and He+MMH

  • Thread starter Thread starter hamzaaaa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Molecular
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
hamzaaaa
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Dear all

I have a case. I have two tanks, one is filled with Helium gas and monomethylhydrazine(MMH) and another tank with Helium gas and Dinitrogentetraoxide(MON). Both tanks are at 47degC so they are in gaseous form.

I want to know what will be the Molecular Mass of the gas. The molecular mass of He=4 g/mol,MMH=46 g/mol and MON=92 g/mol.

So can anyone tell me what will be the molecular mass i should use for computations for (He+MMH, He+MON and He+MMH+MON)

Thanks
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
For some applications you can use weighted average - but calculation requires knowing composition of the mixtures.
 
But why to take the average and why not the sum of all three?
 
Because some properties scale as the average of the molar mass.

Solve this problem: you mix 0.5 L He and 0.5 L Ar. What is the density of the mixture?