1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molecule collisions in an Ideal Gas

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Molecules in an ideal gas collide with each other at random times. The probability distribution governing the time between collisions is P(t) = Ae^(-bt).
    (a) Find the value of A so that P(t) is correctly normalized.
    (b) Find the average time between collisions, t. This time is traditionally called tau. Now re-write P(t) in terms of tau, without the original parameters A and b.
    (c) Find the standard deviation of the collision times, σ_t.

2. Relevant equations
    ∫(x^n)e^(-x/a)dx = n!a^(n+1) from 0 to ∞

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe I have the right answer to (a), I normalized it to obtain P(t) = -be^(-bt), but I can't figure out what to do for part (b) on.
    My attempt was to take the average time t to equal (ƩP(t))/n where n is the number of collisions and the sum goes from 0 to ∞, but that thought process got me no where. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think the first part is right. The integral of P(t) from t=0 to t=infinity should be +1.

4. Feb 5, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you have the probability density function p(x) for some continuous variable X, what expression gives the average value of X?

5. Feb 5, 2013 #4
    For the first response, I rechecked my work on part (a) and realized my signs were off, using A = b the ∫Ae^(-bt) from 0 to ∞ gives me a value of +1.

For the second response, the only solution I can think of would be the Expected value E(x) which would give E(t) = ƩtP(t) = Ʃt(Ae^(-bt)) from t = 0 to ∞ which gives 0 + be^(-b) + 2be^(-2b) +....+ 0 which I don't know how to generalize or even how to apply to the next part. Quite frankly, I am lost on this problem after part (a).

6. Feb 5, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The mean time is an expectation value. It's going to be the integral of t*P(t) from 0 to infinity.

7. Feb 5, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's for a discrete distribution. As Dick says, the equivalent for a continuous distribution is integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook