1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

molecules/nm²? what does it mean

1. Jan 10, 2017 #1
    Hi everyone

in an article they mentioned that the amount added of a product is given by molecules/nm²
    how can i obtain a molar or mass concentration from it ?

best regards

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2017 #2
    You can't; it is a number of molecules per unit area, not volume. Presumably to do with coating a surface or similar phenomenon. You can convert it to, say, moles/m2 if you want.

4. Jan 10, 2017 #3
    There is no way to know the amount i can take? cause i should mix it with my solution before deposition..

5. Jan 10, 2017 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Do you understand how concentrations work in general?

You can calculate amount only if you know the surface which you need to cover. Then you have to decide what volume of solution to use and once you know both amount and volume you can calculate required molar concentration.

6. Jan 10, 2017 #5
    if i have spherical nanoparticles sized 30nm and i want to cover them with a product with an amount of 0.6 molecule/nm²
    how can i know the corresponding quantity that i should take of this product?
    is it by multipliying the surface of nanoparticle (4πr²) by 0.6?

7. Jan 10, 2017 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

That's amount per a single nanoparticle, but yes, that's the correct approach.

8. Jan 10, 2017 #7
    Yes exactly ! Thank u so much for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted