Moment of inertia and a gyroscope

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of moment of inertia in relation to a gyroscope. Specifically, the conversation explores the moment of inertia for a uniform disc attached to a light spindle, with the goal of finding an expression for it. The conversation includes a discussion on the difference between using I = MR^2 and I = MR^2/2 for a circular plate, and also addresses a potential mistake in the given solution. The conversation ends with a clarification on two similar questions, one involving a disk and the other a ring. Ultimately, the solution for both questions is determined to be I = MR^2.
Distr0

Homework Statement

A gyroscope consists of a uniform disc of mass M and diameter d attached at its centre to a light spindle of length l perpendicular to the plane of the disc.

i) Show that the moment of inertia, I, of the disc around the axis of the spindle is Md²/8.

Homework Equations

I=MR² Moment of inertia

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't understand why it becomes I=Md²/8 as R=d/2 and R²=d²/4 not d²/8

or am i missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
I = MR^2/2 for a circular plate.

ok i'll ask my lecturer about that tomorrow as in her solutions to this she has written

I=MR²

thanks for the help

The MOI of a disc rotating around its centre is certainly I = MR^2/2

the quatity MR^2 is used when applying the parallel axis theory.

DylanB said:
The MOI of a disc rotating around its centre is certainly I = MR^2/2

the quatity MR^2 is used when applying the parallel axis theory.

It is very hard to see how this gyroscope is built and how it rotates :)

yea, I=MR^2 is for used on a particle or a person in some examples.
I=(MR^2)/2 is for a disc

Must be a careless mistake. Let the OP clarify with the teacher.

theinfojunkie said:
yea, I=MR^2 is for used on a particle or a person in some examples.

What sort of persons in which examples?

I was given two very similar questions (which I still can't tell apart)

Question 1

A uniform horizontal disc of mass M and radius R rotates about its vertical axis with angular frequency w. Find and expression for the moment of inertia.

Solution

Mass per unit area (lambda) = M/piR^2

Mass of small ring of thickness dr (dm) = lambda*2pi*r*dr

I = integral (0->R) r^2 dm
I = integral (0->R) r^2*lambda*2pi*r dr
I = 2pi*lambda integral (0->R) r^3 dr
I = 2pi*lambda*(R^4)/4
I = 2pi*(M/pi*R^2)*(R^4)/4
I = (MR^2)/2

Question 2

A gyroscope consists of a wheel of mass M and radius R attatched to a light central rod of length l that is perpendicular to the plan of the wheel. If the wheel is a uniform ring with light spokes determine an expression for the moment of inertia of the wheel about the axis of the spindle.

Solution

I = MR^2

Both correct.

What do you mean you can't tell them apart? The first is a disk, where the mass is distributed from the centre upto the circumference. The second is a ring, where all the mass is at a distance of R from the centre.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is the sum of the products of the mass of each particle in the object and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia and mass are two different physical quantities. Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while moment of inertia refers to the distribution of that mass around an axis of rotation. In other words, two objects with the same mass can have different moments of inertia if their mass is distributed differently.

3. What is a gyroscope and how does it work?

A gyroscope is a spinning disc or wheel that is mounted on an axis. It works by utilizing the principle of conservation of angular momentum. As the gyroscope spins, it maintains its axis of rotation, resisting any external forces that try to change its orientation.

4. How is moment of inertia related to a gyroscope?

Moment of inertia plays a crucial role in the behavior of a gyroscope. The larger the moment of inertia of the spinning wheel, the greater its resistance to changes in its orientation. This allows the gyroscope to maintain its stability and direction of rotation.

5. What are some practical applications of a gyroscope?

Gyroscopes have a wide range of applications, including navigation systems, aircraft and spacecraft stabilization, and motion sensors in electronic devices. They are also used in the design and operation of bicycles, motorcycles, and other vehicles to improve stability and control.