Moment of Inertia and two uniform solid spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the moment of inertia for a system consisting of two uniform solid spheres connected by a thin rod, and the use of the parallel axis theorem to calculate this moment of inertia. The correct formula to use is 2MR^2/5 for each sphere, added together. There is a 11% error in the calculation if the spheres are assumed to be point masses concentrated at their centers.
meganw

Homework Statement

Two uniform solid spheres of mass M and radius R0 are connected by a thin (massless) rod of length 1.6R0 so that the centers are 3.6R0 apart.

(a) Determine the moment of inertia of this system about an axis perpendicular to the rod at its center.

________________ MR^2

(b) What would be the percentage error if the masses of each sphere were assumed to be concentrated at their centers and a very simple calculation could be made?

Homework Equations

mr^2 = moment of inertia for a point mass

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused. I guess it's not a point mass because I keep doing it that way but I keep getting the wrong answer. (2*1.8)=3.6 1.8 is the R and 2 for the second M.

What's the real formula I should be using for this? Thanks! I need help. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the distance between the centre of rotation and the spheres...
You can't treat the spheres as point masses...their MI should be calculated about the axis of rotation as 2MR^2/5 AND added to get the inertia for the system.for this you must use the parallel axis theorem to calculate the MI of spheres about the axis of rotation...

Okay I tried it again using the parallel axis theorem but I got it wrong:

I=Icm +Mh^2

Icm=2/5*MRo^2
Mh^2=M*(1.6Ro)^2

Multiply them by two for the two masses:

I=4/5MR0^2+5.12MRo^2
=5.92 * MRo^2

It says that's wrong. What am I doing incorrectly?

How did you get h = 1.6Ro?

h

OH, Dr. Al, you're right! I was using 1.6 instead of 1.8.

Which gives you 11% error because you just do 2(M)(1.8 Ro)^2 which is 6.48 and % error is Theoretical (7.28) -Actual (6.48) / Theoretical = 10.98% error.

Thank you! =) You've really helped me and I really appreciate it!

1. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia for two uniform solid spheres?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia for two uniform solid spheres is I = (2/5)MR^2 + (2/5)MR^2, where M is the mass of each sphere and R is the radius of each sphere.

2. How does the distance between the two spheres affect the moment of inertia?

The distance between the two spheres does not affect the moment of inertia. It only depends on the mass and radius of each sphere.

3. Can the moment of inertia of two solid spheres be negative?

No, the moment of inertia cannot be negative as it represents the rotational inertia of an object. It is always a positive value.

4. Is it possible for two solid spheres with different masses to have the same moment of inertia?

Yes, it is possible for two solid spheres with different masses to have the same moment of inertia if they have the same mass distribution and radius.

5. How does the moment of inertia of two solid spheres compare to that of one solid sphere with the same mass and radius?

The moment of inertia of two solid spheres is the sum of the individual moments of inertia for each sphere. Therefore, it is always greater than the moment of inertia of one solid sphere with the same mass and radius.