1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia/Angular Speed/Torque

1. Sep 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A flat construction of two circular rings that have a common center and are held together by three rods of negligible mass. The construction, which is initially at rest, can rotate around the common center (like a merry-go-round) through which another rod of negligible mass extends. Mass 1 is 0.12 kg, its inside and outside radii are 0.016 m and 0.045 m, respectively. Mass 2 is 0.24 kg, its inside and outside radii are 0.090 m and 0.140 m, respectively. A tangential force of magnitude 13.0 N is applied to the outer edge of the outer ring for 0.300 s. What is the change in the angular speed of the construction during that time interval?

2. Relevant equations
    I believe the following is the correct moment of inertia formula for this problem:

I = (1/2)M(R1^2 + R2^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I have done so far is calculate each ring's moment of inertia.

Ring 1:
    I1 = (1/2)M(R1^2 + R2^2)
    I1 = (1/2)(0.12 kg)((0.016 m)^2 + (0.045 m)^2)
    I1 = 1.3686e-4 (kg*m^2)

Ring 2:
    I2 = (1/2)M(R1^2 + R2^2)
    I2 = (1/2)(0.24 kg)((0.090 m)^2 + (0.140 m)^2)
    I2 = .003324 (kg*m^2)

This is as far as I have gotten and I am not even sure if the work I have done thus far is relevant. I am not sure what to do with the tangential force provided by the problem. I know F = ma, but I am not sure where that, or if it even does, fit in. Please help, this one has been stumping me for a while. Thanks for your time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2007 #2

Gold Member

The two rings are a blind. You can treat the construct as one assembly with a MoI given by the sum of the MoI of the two rings.

So the problem is just to calculate the angular acceleration caused by a tangential force.
    Have a look here http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html and you'll see it's just like a = f/m.
  4. Sep 14, 2007 #3
    Okay, so I used the formula from the reference you gave me, alpha = F/I:

alpha = (13 N)/(0.00346 kg*m^2)
    alpha = 3757.225434 rad/s^2

also I know the equation for angular speed relative to angular acceleration:
    w = alpha * time

w = (3757.225434 rad/s^2)(0.300 s)
    w = 1127.16763 rad/s

Unfortunately I made a mistake because that is wrong. I don't think I need to use one of the constant acceleration equations because the angular acceleration isn't constant. I thought I was on the right track. Thanks for your time.
  5. Sep 14, 2007 #4
    Nevermind, I figured out where my error was. I don't know why I did this, but I set the torque to just the tangential force. Torque is defined as force * radius. Thus all I needed to do was to multiply the 13 N force in my problem by the outer radius since that is where the force is applied. My final answer came to 157.8034682 rad/s.

Thanks, Mentz114 for leading me in the right direction.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?