1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia for a Thick Spherical Shell

1. Mar 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A)
    Consider a hollow sphere of uniform density with an outer radius [itex]R[/itex] and inner radius [itex]\alpha R[/itex], where [itex]0\leq\alpha\leq1[/itex]. Calculate its moment of inertia.
    B) Take the limit as [itex]\lim_{\alpha\to1}[/itex] to determine the moment of inertia of a thin spherical shell.
    2. Relevant equations
    Moment of Inertia: [itex]I = \int r^2 dm[/itex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex] dm = \rho dV[/itex]. Where rho is density. The volume element for a sphere is [tex] dV=r^2sin\theta d\theta d\varphi dr[/tex]
    So I think I would integrate over a sphere but instead from inner radius to the outer radius? [tex] I = \rho \int_{\alpha R}^{R} r^4 dr \int_{0}^{\pi} sin\theta d\theta \int_{0}^{2\pi} d\varphi [/tex]
    Which yields [tex]\frac{4\pi}{5} \rho (R^5 - \alpha R^5) [/tex]
    If [tex] \rho = \frac{m}{V} = \frac{m}{\frac{4\pi (R^3 - \alpha R^3)}{3}} [/tex]
    Then the equation for moment of inertia becomes
    [tex] I = \frac{3}{5}mR^2 \frac{1-\alpha^5}{1-\alpha^3} [/tex]

The problems is now when I take the limit as alpha approaches 1, and apply l'Hopital's rule, I get that moment of inertia is [itex] mR^2[/itex], when there should be a factor of [itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In your I calculation, the r in your relevant equation is not the distance from the origin, but the distance from the axis of rotation ...

4. Mar 13, 2016 #3
    Thanks BvU, that was a stupid mistake on my part. I replaced r with rsin(theta) in spherical coordinates and I got the correct answer.

5. Mar 13, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

well done!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted