Moment of inertia of a bar with two spheres

In summary, the moment of inertia of a dumbbell consisting of two spheres and a connecting bar is calculated by adding the moment of inertia of each object, which is equal to the mass multiplied by the square of the distance from the center of mass, and using the Parallel Axis Theorem to account for the rotation about an axis perpendicular to the axis at the bar's center of mass. The correct formula for the moment of inertia of a bar is 1/12 times the mass multiplied by the square of its length. The final result is found by summing the individual moments of inertia.
duplaimp

Homework Statement

A dumbbell has two spheres of radius 0.10m and mass 10kg (each). The two spheres are connected using a bar with length 1.0m and mass 12kg.
What is the moment of inertia of the dumbbell about an axis perpendicular to an axis at the bar's center of mass?
Moment of inertia of a sphere through its center of mass: [itex]\frac{2}{5}MR^{2}[/itex]
Moment of inertia of a bar through its center of mass: [itex]\frac{2}{12}ML^{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the following:
(sphere) [itex]Ip = Icm + Md^{2}[/itex] <=> Ip = [itex]\frac{2}{5} MR^{2} + M(\frac{L}{2} + R)^2[/itex] <=> Ip = [itex]\frac{7}{5} M R^{2} + M\frac{L^{2}}{4}[/itex]
(bar) I = [itex]\frac{2}{12} ML^{2}[/itex]

Then I multiplied Ip by 2 and sum I (of the bar). Itotal = 2Ip + I

But the value I am getting is wrong. What I am doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

I'm not sure I understand the phrase "about an axis perpendicular to an axis at the bar's center".

But I did note a couple of things.

##(\frac{L}{2} + R)^2 \neq \frac{L^2}{4}+R^2##

Are you sure the moment of inertia of a rod has a factor of 2/12?

Likes 1 person
Instead of writing equations off the cuff as it were, set up the problem in an organized manner.

Code:
Item      Mass      C.O.M.     Moment   M*Dist^2    MMOI
                    Dist.

Sphere 1   10        0.55        5.5       3.03     (2/5)MR^2
Sphere 2   10       -0.55       -5.5       3.03     (2/5)MR^2
Bar        12         0.0        0.0       0.0      ML^2/12
----------------------------------------------------------
Totals

Add up the totals for each column and use the Parallel Axis Theorem
To find the MMOI for the bar bell.

TSny said:
Hello.

I'm not sure I understand the phrase "about an axis perpendicular to an axis at the bar's center".

Oops.. The factor is 1/12 and I was thinking in [itex](L*R)^{2}[/itex] instead of [itex](L+R)^{2}[/itex]

So, trying again I've got the right result but am I doing it right?

I did this:

(sphere) [itex]Ip = Icm + Md^{2}[/itex] <=> Ip = [itex]\frac{2}{5} MR^{2} + M(\frac{L}{2} + R)^2[/itex] <=> Ip = [itex]\frac{2}{5} M R^{2} + M(\frac{L^{2}}{4}+2\frac{LR}{2}+R^{2})[/itex]
(bar) I = [itex]\frac{1}{12} ML^{2}[/itex]

Then plugged in the values of each, multiplied I of sphere by two and did a sum of I of bar and I of sphere. Is this correct?

TSny said:
Hello.

Oops.. The factor is 1/12 and I was thinking in [itex](L*R)^{2}[/itex] instead of [itex](L+R)^{2}[/itex]

So, trying again I've got the right result but am I doing it right?

I did this:

(sphere) [itex]Ip = Icm + Md^{2}[/itex] <=> Ip = [itex]\frac{2}{5} MR^{2} + M(\frac{L}{2} + R)^2[/itex] <=> Ip = [itex]\frac{2}{5} M R^{2} + M(\frac{L^{2}}{4}+2\frac{LR}{2}+R^{2})[/itex]
(bar) I = [itex]\frac{1}{12} ML^{2}[/itex]

Then plugged in the values of each, multiplied I of sphere by two and did a sum of I of bar and I of sphere. Is this correct?

Yes, that looks correct assuming the axis of rotation is as shown.

I would probably not bother to expand out the ##(\frac{L}{2}+R)^2##, but just leave it as ##I_p = \frac{2}{5} MR^{2} + M(\frac{L}{2} + R)^2##. The expression is more compact that way and it will be easier to evaluate numerically.

Attachments

• Fig 1.png
    Fig 1.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 1,275
Likes 1 person
The axis of rotation is as you shown. Thank you!

1. What is the moment of inertia of a bar with two spheres?

The moment of inertia of a bar with two spheres refers to the resistance of the bar to rotation when an external force is applied. It is also known as rotational inertia and is dependent on the mass and distribution of mass of the object.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a bar with two spheres calculated?

The moment of inertia of a bar with two spheres can be calculated by using the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance of the object from the axis of rotation. In the case of a bar with two spheres, the moments of inertia of each sphere are calculated separately and then added together.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a bar with two spheres?

The moment of inertia of a bar with two spheres is affected by the mass of the spheres, the distance between them, and the distance of the spheres from the axis of rotation. A larger mass or a greater distance from the axis of rotation will result in a higher moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a bar with two spheres affect its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of a bar with two spheres determines how easily the object can rotate. A larger moment of inertia means that more energy is required to rotate the object, while a smaller moment of inertia allows for faster and smoother rotation.

5. How is the moment of inertia of a bar with two spheres different from that of a single bar?

The moment of inertia of a single bar is calculated using the formula I = ½mr², as the mass is distributed evenly along the length of the bar. However, in the case of a bar with two spheres, the mass is not evenly distributed, so the moment of inertia must be calculated separately for each sphere and then added together to get the total moment of inertia of the bar.