Moment of inertia of a half disk about an axis

In summary: Yes, and if you want to satisfy your curiosity, you may have to ask your instructor about the definition of ##\phi##, otherwise leave it alone.
vbrasic

Homework Statement

Consider a half disk (of uniform density) with the flat end lying on the x-axis, symmetric about the y-axis (i.e. being cut into two quarters by the y-axis). Calculate the moments of inertia about each of the axes.

Homework Equations

$$I_{rr}=\sum_{i}m_ir_i^2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need some making sure that I'm setting up the problem correctly.

The distance to the x-axis from any point on the disk is ##y##. Or, alternatively, ##r\sin{\phi}.## So we find that, $$I_{xx}=\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\pi}(r^2\sin^2{\phi})\rho\,rdrd\phi,$$ where ##\rho## is the mass density per unit area. However, my instructor has in his notes that, $$I_{xx}=\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\pi}(r^2\cos^2{\phi})\rho\,rdrd\phi.$$ I'm not sure why that would be, as the distance from any point to the axis of rotation (x in the case of ##I_{xx}## is ##y=r\sin{\rho}.##

Physics news on Phys.org
vbrasic said:

Homework Statement

Consider a half disk (of uniform density) with the flat end lying on the x-axis, symmetric about the y-axis (i.e. being cut into two quarters by the y-axis). Calculate the moments of inertia about each of the axes.

Homework Equations

$$I_{rr}=\sum_{i}m_ir_i^2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need some making sure that I'm setting up the problem correctly.

The distance to the x-axis from any point on the disk is ##y##. Or, alternatively, ##r\sin{\phi}.## So we find that, $$I_{xx}=\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\pi}(r^2\sin^2{\phi})\rho\,rdrd\phi,$$ where ##\rho## is the mass density per unit area. However, my instructor has in his notes that, $$I_{xx}=\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\pi}(r^2\cos^2{\phi})\rho\,rdrd\phi.$$ I'm not sure why that would be, as the distance from any point to the axis of rotation (x in the case of ##I_{xx}## is ##y=r\sin{\rho}.##
I think you have it right. Maybe the instructor wrote it down wrong.

Have you and your instructor defined angle ##\phi## the same way or is one ##90^o - \phi## of the other?
vbrasic said:
... in the case of ##I_{xx}## is ##y=r \sin \rho##.
You mean ##y=r \sin \phi##.

kuruman said:
Have you and your instructor defined angle ##\phi## the same way or is one ##90^o - \phi## of the other?

You mean ##y=r \sin \phi##.

Yes -- and not that I know of.

OK, then you need to ask yourself, "does it make any difference?" Is the area under the ##\cos^2(\phi)## curve from ##0## to ##\pi## different from the area under the ##\sin^2(\phi)## curve? Draw the curves and see for yourself.

kuruman said:
OK, then you need to ask yourself, "does it make any difference?" Is the area under the ##\cos^2(\phi)## curve from ##0## to ##\pi## different from the area under the ##\sin^2(\phi)## curve? Draw the curves and see for yourself.
Yeah, it wouldn't make a difference. The integral evaluates to the same result either way.

vbrasic said:
Yeah, it wouldn't make a difference. The integral evaluates to the same result either way.
Yes, and if you want to satisfy your curiosity, you may have to ask your instructor about the definition of ##\phi##, otherwise leave it alone.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, but for rotational motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a half disk?

The moment of inertia for a half disk is calculated by the formula I = 1/4 * MR^2, where M is the mass of the half disk and R is the radius of the disk.

3. What is the axis of rotation for a half disk?

The axis of rotation for a half disk is the line that passes through the center of the disk and is perpendicular to the plane of the disk.

4. How does changing the radius of a half disk affect its moment of inertia?

Changing the radius of a half disk affects its moment of inertia by increasing or decreasing it proportionally. A larger radius will result in a higher moment of inertia, while a smaller radius will result in a lower moment of inertia.

5. Can a half disk have different moment of inertia values for different axes of rotation?

Yes, a half disk can have different moment of inertia values for different axes of rotation. The moment of inertia depends on the distance of mass from the axis of rotation, so changing the axis of rotation can result in a different moment of inertia value.