1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of a Hemispherical Shell

1. Dec 31, 2011 #1
    Prompt: Find the moment of inertia about the z-axis of the hemispherical shell of problem II-6.

Additional Info.:

-Problem II-6 states: the distribution of mass on the hemispherical shell z=(R^2-x^2-y^2)^1/2 is given by o(x,y,z) = (o/R^2)(x^2+y^2) where σ0 is a constant. Find an expression in terms of o and R for the total mass of the shell.

-My solution to II-6 (verified by the text): 4(pi)R2σ0/3.

Solution Attempts:

1. Looked up a formula for the moment of inertia of a hemisphere, 2mr^(2)/5, where m is mass and r is radius. This gives us 8(pi)R^(4)o/15, which is off by a factor of 2.

2. Found another formula ∫ r^2 dm. Simplified ∫ dm into σ0R2∫∫sin3ϕ dϕ dθ. Took r to mean distance from the z-axis and not radius (it was not specified where I found this formula). Let r=psinϕ, or in this case r=Rsinϕ. Determined ∫ r^2 dm = σ0R4∫∫sin5ϕ dϕ dθ. Tried to integrate this and got:
    -5 Cos[x]...5 Cos[3 x]...Cos[5 x]
    ---------- + ----------- - ----------
    over the integral [O,pi/2], which equals zero.

Real Solution: 16(pi)R^(4)o/15

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It looks like you just integrated incorrectly. Mathematica says
    $$\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi/2} \sin^5\phi \,d\phi\,d\theta = \frac{16\pi}{15}$$which is what you want.

Actually, it looks like you integrated correctly but mistakenly thought cos 0 is 0, but it's equal to 1.

4. Dec 31, 2011 #3
    cos(0) is equal to 1? No way! Haha, thanks very much vela. A teacher of mine once said a mathematician spends most of his time searching for that missing factor of 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook