Moment of inertia of a hoop on an arm

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia for a hoop at the end of an arm, with the axis of rotation passing through the opposite end. The parallel axis theorem is used to calculate the total moment of inertia, and it is mentioned that the thickness of the hoop and arm should be taken into consideration. The system being modeled consists of two paddles on the same axis.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the moment of Inertial of a hoop at the end of a arm. The axis is at the end of the arm and normal to the plane of the hoop.

Let:
M= mass of the hoop
r= radius of the hoop
m=mass of the arm
d=lengh of the arm

Homework Equations

[tex] I_{hoop} = Mr^2 [/tex]
[tex] I_{arm} = \frac {md^2} 3 [/tex]

[tex]I_{total} = I_{hoop} + I_{arm} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the parallel axis theorm the hoop:

[tex] I_{hoop} = Mr^2 +Md^2[/tex]

so for the system:
[tex]I_{total} = I_{hoop} + I_{arm} [/tex]

Question, is this correct?
Here's the deal, I have created a model of this system, but it is not responding as I think it should, the moment of Inertia is something I need to verify.

No this is not homework for a class, but it is typical of a homework problem so this is where is belongs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the axis of rotation pass through the centre of the hoop or is it at the opposite end of the arm?

If the axis of rotation passes through the centre of the hoop, then your calculation is correct. One possibility for the misbehavior of the model is that both your momenta of inertia (rod and hoop) assume that their thickness is negligible. If the thicknesses of your hoop/rod is not negligible then you should use the following momenta of inertia;

[tex]I_{hoop} = \frac{1}{2}M(r_0^2+r_1^2)[/tex]

Where r0 and r1 are the inner and outer radii respectively. And,

[tex]I_{cylinder} = \frac{1}{4}MR^2 + \frac{1}{3}Md^2[/tex]

But I'm sure that you have considered this already.

Last edited:
Thanks Hoot,
Actually the axis of rotation is through the opposite end. Imagine a flyswatter, edge on. (Won't get many flys this way)

I have neglected the thickness, unfortunately that serves to increase the moment of inertia, which makes my problem worse.
There is a torque applied near the pivot point, the model predicts angular velocity well below what my gut says.

I think for the final Ih I missed the radius of the hoop in the application of the parallel axis theorem. It should read:

[tex] Mr^2 + M ( r+d)^2 [/tex]

The physical system has a pair of these paddels rotating on the same axis, I am assuming that I just double I.
Thanks for any input.

Integral said:
Thanks Hoot,
Actually the axis of rotation is through the opposite end. Imagine a flyswatter, edge on. (Won't get many flys this way)
Ahh, I have a picture now :smile:
Integral said:
I have neglected the thickness, unfortunately that serves to increase the moment of inertia, which makes my problem worse.
There is a torque applied near the pivot point, the model predicts angular velocity well below what my gut says.

I think for the final Ih I missed the radius of the hoop in the application of the parallel axis theorem. It should read:

[tex] Mr^2 + M ( r+d)^2 [/tex]
Yes that looks correct to me. Unfortunatly, it looks as if this new addition will only serve to further compound your 'problem'.
Integral said:
The physical system has a pair of these paddels rotating on the same axis, I am assuming that I just double I.
Thanks for any input.
Again, yes, this is totally valid. I'm just sorry that I can't help you further, is this something that your building or is it purely a thought experiement?

this is an attempt to model a real system. I'll keep you up with what I learn.

Integral said:
this is an attempt to model a real system. I'll keep you up with what I learn.
Thanks Integral, if I think of anything I'll let you know.

What is the moment of inertia of a hoop on an arm?

The moment of inertia of a hoop on an arm is a measure of the object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is commonly denoted by the symbol "I" and is calculated using the mass and radius of the hoop.

How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a hoop on an arm?

The moment of inertia of a hoop on an arm can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where "m" is the mass of the hoop and "r" is the radius of the hoop.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a hoop on an arm?

The moment of inertia of a hoop on an arm is affected by the mass and radius of the hoop, as well as the distribution of mass within the hoop. The greater the mass and radius, the larger the moment of inertia will be.

How does the moment of inertia of a hoop on an arm impact its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of a hoop on an arm determines how quickly or slowly the hoop will rotate in response to an applied force. A larger moment of inertia means the hoop will rotate more slowly, while a smaller moment of inertia will result in faster rotation.

Can the moment of inertia of a hoop on an arm be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a hoop on an arm can be changed by altering the mass or radius of the hoop, or by changing the distribution of mass within the hoop. Additionally, the moment of inertia can be affected by the shape or size of the arm it is attached to.