Moment of inertia of a solid sphere

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
henry3369
Messages
194
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the moment of inertia of a solid sphere of uniform mass density (like a billiard ball) about an axis through its center

Homework Equations


I = ∫rρdV

The Attempt at a Solution


I =ρ ∫r4πr2dr = ρ4π∫r4
Then I integrate this from 0 (the center) to R, so I = (ρ4π)*(R5/5)
And ρ = mv so ρ = M/(4/3)πR3 = 3M/4πR3. Put ρ into the equation for moment of inertia to get I = 3MR2/5.

My book tells me the answer is (2/5)MR^2. Where did I go wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
henry3369 said:

Homework Statement


Find the moment of inertia of a solid sphere of uniform mass density (like a billiard ball) about an axis through its center

Homework Equations


I = ∫rρdV

The Attempt at a Solution


I =ρ ∫r4πr2dr = ρ4π∫r4
Then I integrate this from 0 (the center) to R, so I = (ρ4π)*(R5/5)
And ρ = mv so ρ = M/(4/3)πR3 = 3M/4πR3. Put ρ into the equation for moment of inertia to get I = 3MR2/5.

My book tells me the answer is (2/5)MR^2. Where did I go wrong?

Can you explain how you are setting up the integral? What shape are you integrating from 0 to R?
 
PeroK said:
Can you explain how you are setting up the integral? What shape are you integrating from 0 to R?
The surface area of a spherical shell from the center of the sphere to the outer shell of radius R.
 
I figured it out. If I use spherical shells, the points from the shell aren't all the same distance form the axis of rotation. I was thinking about the distance from the center.
 
henry3369 said:
I figured it out. If I use spherical shells, the points from the shell aren't all the same distance form the axis of rotation. I was thinking about the distance from the center.
Exactly!