1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of equilateral triangle about vertex

1. Mar 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A piece of thin uniform wire of mass m and length 3b is bent into an equilateral triangle. Find the moment of inertia of the wire triangle about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the triangle and passing through one of its vertices.

2. Relevant equations
    Slender rod, axis through one end: I=[itex] \frac 1 3[/itex]ML2
    Parallel axis theorem: Ip=Icm+Md2
    Slender rod, axis through center: I=[itex] \frac {1} {12}[/itex]ML2

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I drew the figure as an equilateral triangle with the axis at the top point and set each side equal to B.

34qlqms.jpg

Then I considered the 2 sides to be slender rods with the axis through one end.
    So, ΣI=[itex]\frac 1 3[/itex]Mb2+[itex]\frac 1 3[/itex]Mb2

The third side I figured would be a slender rod with the axis in the middle but moved up a distance d which would equal [itex] \sqrt{ b^2- {\frac 1 4} b^2 } [/itex].

Ip=[itex] \frac {1} {12} [/itex]Mb2+M[itex] \sqrt{ b^2- {\frac 1 4} b^2 } [/itex]2

Then I added them all up to get the moment of inertia for the whole triangle.

ΣI=[itex]\frac 1 3[/itex]Mb2+[itex]\frac 1 3[/itex]Mb2+[itex] \frac {1} {12} [/itex]Mb2+Mb2-[itex]\frac 1 4[/itex]Mb2

But I get [itex] \frac 3 2 [/itex]Mb2 when the answer is supposed to be [itex] \frac 1 2 [/itex]Mb2.

Am I maybe missing a negative or calculating one of the moments wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello there, haithere, :welcome:
    Is M the mass of one side, or of the whole thing ?

4. Mar 20, 2017 #3
    M is the mass of the whole wire so should I be using M/3 for the value of M in each moment I'm adding?
    edit: I tried it and it works thanks for pointing that out

5. Apr 13, 2017 #4

muz

can you show how you found the distance d?
    '

6. Apr 13, 2017 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Muz, :welcome:

Thing to do in PF is start your own thread instead of continuing someone else's solved thread.

Never mind: if you cut an equilateral triangle (sides length b) in half you can use Pythagoras to find ##d^2 = b^2 - ({1\over 2}b)^2 \ \ ##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted